• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Political Discussions - Helping the Environment #2

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Well, in recent news, an age old tradition in Cattle Grazing maybe on the way out. For once Steve Bracks has done the right thing. But of course people (The Farmers) aren't happy about it (never can make everyone happy) - though after 150 years of this, perhaps the land has been batted beyond repair. The Buggers still want this - because it's been going on for so long, but Australia isn't the place to do it.

You may have a little tick besides your name Brack'sie but you still out on my voting card!

CP/M User.

Re: Political Discussions - Helping the Environment #2

Well it seems I might of spoke too soon about this issue. Many people have spoken strongly against this Political issue, simply stating it's a hertitage issue. Personally, I think this hertitage proganda is a load of nonsense - though from a maintenance issue it maybe important to continue this.

I've found this to be a very difficult issue to express an opinion about, because I need more information about the Victorian high country. For instance:

* How abundant is the Indigenous Vegetation?

* Does the Cattle effectively control this National Park for weeds & assists
the local Vegetation?

* Does the Cattle lower the Risks of Bushfires in the summertime?

There's probably other questions which could be asked, but these seem to be the main issues surrounding the Cattle.

On the other side of the fence you have the people who say the Cattle do damage to the land - through erosion & salinity, increasing & strip the Victorian Highlands bare of Plants. People on this side are also saying that Native Fauna has suffered over the years & has been pushed out in favor for the cattle.

It's an interesting topic, I don't know how the world see's such a topic, but if anyone knows of a simular circumstance & have some articles about it, or wanted to search into this issue somewhere on the 'net (it'd be in there somewhere) for more information about it, it's actually quite a complicated issue & to my friends who have a big interest in the environment - some of them seem to be jumping onto one side without looking at the other.

So who know's - maybe the Govt. is doing the wrong thing again?! ;-)

CP/M User.

The only thing that I can relate is the situation in America before the white men killed off all the bison. It was said that there were herds so vast that it would take 3 hours for them to pass by a given point, and that they streched as far as the eye could see. I can only imagine that many buffalo, by remembering some of the caribu migrations I've seen in Alaska, but none of the herds were ever that large, although there have been times when we were held up for an hour or more, waiting for them to cross the road. (Migrations have the right-of-way).
If there were that many buff, as a natural part of the eco-system, and they did it no harm, how could a few cattle be any worse for Mother Nature? I don't know about Oz, where bison herds were never included in the eco-system, but it can't be that different, can it?
Mebbe I'm just prejudiced tho, looking at it from a farmer's perspective. I remember reading an article on sub-soil compaction, in which it was pointed out that a plow horse or mule did more damage to the land than a modern tractor, because of the way the weight is distributed. If horses & mules' hooves impact the environment that much, I guess cattle could be harmful too.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> The only thing that I can relate is the situation in America before the
> white men killed off all the bison.

I heard a sad rumor about our country having some of the most extradorinary creatures which roamed this land, some were quite large. Sadily they are gone, though it might of been through natural resources to which these creatures perished (in other words they starved). I don't think man had any impact on these creatures, if they did, it might of been the aboriginal's - but I don't believe that.

But yeah, man has made many species go into extinction.

> It was said that there were herds so vast that it would take 3 hours for
> them to pass by a given point, and that they streched as far as the eye
> could see. I can only imagine that many buffalo, by remembering some
> of the caribu migrations I've seen in Alaska, but none of the herds were
> ever that large, although there have been times when we were held up
> for an hour or more, waiting for them to cross the road. (Migrations
> have the right-of-way).

> If there were that many buff, as a natural part of the eco-system, and
> they did it no harm, how could a few cattle be any worse for Mother
> Nature?

Yes, well it's a difficult issue like I mentioned. From an environmentalist's point-of-view, cattle didn't exist here 200 years ago, these high countries were seem as a great opportunity to have cattle & horses I guess & all of a sudden this land is suddenly under presure from these forces.
Though since it's been there for so long, what'll happen when the grazing suddenly stops - some people think weeds will surface, replacing the native with the weed & fires maybe on the rise. It all really depends on what's there, which sad to say have no knowledge about - perhaps there's a floral guide to the plant life & map showing the cattle grazed areas coloured coded guide of indigenous plant quality (I wished!).

Strickly speaking it's the Environmentalist's Vs the European way of Life, but it's pretty clouded & the Enviro's need more Data to understand what's happening - before they start digging.

> I don't know about Oz, where bison herds were never included in the
> eco-system, but it can't be that different, can it?

Well it goes back onto what I said earlier about Australia's history for creatures, but that really spans into Millions of years. In more recent times animals found here are much different from what you'd expect to see in a farm. Kangaroos are perhaps one of the heaviest (if not largest) of our land creatures - but after that it's hard to say what comes next in terms of Height & Weight. Perhaps the Kola & Wombat are - one of them loves our Eucalypt's.

> Mebbe I'm just prejudiced tho, looking at it from a farmer's
> perspective. I remember reading an article on sub-soil compaction, in
> which it was pointed out that a plow horse or mule did more damage to
> the land than a modern tractor, because of the way the weight is
> distributed. If horses & mules' hooves impact the environment that
> much, I guess cattle could be harmful too.

Yes, that really fits into an environmentalists point of view too, that these animals have some impact, again this would have to be shown on record for anyone to understand what impact cattle do to the land & if it increases other factors.

One interesting study which was done in my area, found that one of the local dams was unsuitable for drinking water, after it was discovered that nearby land (used for farming) had degraded, erosion had occured, salinity went up (I believe) & most of all, the cattle deposits went into the ground, which changed the structure of the soil which went into the nearby dam (to actually pollute it).

CP/M User.

Back