• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Post HERE using your vintage computer!

Mr.Amiga500

Experienced Member
Instead of always posting on a vintage computer forum using modern computers, why not let your vintage computer say something for a change? Let's see how many different vintage computers we can get posting in this thread. (Why? Why not!)

Now, I know connecting some of these vintage computers to the internet can be a bit tricky (or even impossible), so you are also allowed to transfer your text to a modern computer to post, any way you can - as long as every single character was typed using the vintage computer. (nothing added)

Specify what computer and hardware was used to create the post.

I'll start: This thread was created and posted using a 16Mhz Amiga 3000, Deneb USB 2.0 card and 99¢ USB ethernet adapter.

This post was entirely typed on a 1983 TRS-80 Model 100, saved on SD card using NADSbox, loaded and posted on Amiga 3000.

Hello from my Amiga 500! This was entirely typed and posted using my Amiga 500 (with 33Mhz 020 accelerator), from dialup.

This post was typed using my 1983 Atari 800XL, saved on SD card using SDrive NUXX, loaded and posted using Amiga 3000.

Interesting idea for a thread, but I think it is a stretch to say that something typed on a <insert ancient 8 bit machine or pocket calculator here> and sent by an RS232 connection or other connection to another machine for eventual posting counts. So while the post from the Amiga is credible and has merit, the Tandy post is, well, kind of bogus when you consider that nearly every machine ever made has a serial port and can do basic data transfer over it.

If you exclude data transfer and machines acting like terminals, which all machines can pretty much do, then we are limited to machines that run a web browser that is new enough to render the forum pages.

Interesting idea for a thread, but I think it is a stretch to say that something typed on a <insert ancient 8 bit machine or pocket calculator here> and sent by an RS232 connection or other connection to another machine for eventual posting counts. So while the post from the Amiga is credible and has merit, the Tandy post is, well, kind of bogus when you consider that nearly every machine ever made has a serial port and can do basic data transfer over it.

If you exclude data transfer and machines acting like terminals, which all machines can pretty much do, then we are limited to machines that run a web browser that is new enough to render the forum pages.

Well, I knew that there would probably be no posts at all if I limited it to vintage machines that can run a web browser modern enough to be able to log on here and post. I still think it's interesting to physically type on an ancient 8-bit machine all the text that is viewed in a post. Don't you? At least it gives people a chance to see that the ancient machines aren't just useless paperweights.

Well, that is where I disagree. All machines can store some text and all have some data transfer capability. So there really is no challenge here.

And yes, although the old machines can be used for typing and data transfer of some sort, that does not make them useful. If you have to have a modern machine do the bulk of the work, then what's the point?

How about something more along the lines of, "What do you use your old machines for, even if modern equivalents are available?" I think you'll find that generates much more interesting responses, and not just limited to "I typed some data and moved it."

How about something more along the lines of, "What do you use your old machines for, even if modern equivalents are available?" I think you'll find that generates much more interesting responses, and not just limited to "I typed some data and moved it."

There are hundreds of those threads! Usually, they're filled with posts like, "I use it to gather dust", "it's in my closet" or "games, mostly".

I think I'd much rather see, "Hello, this is my Kaypro II."

There are hundreds of those threads! Usually, they're filled with posts like, "I use it to gather dust", "it's in my closet" or "games, mostly".

I think I'd much rather see, "Hello, this is my Kaypro II."

And of the three responses you gave there, two would demonstrate a lack of ability to comprehend a written question, and would thus lead to banning. ;-0

That's not the point, there are tons of those threads and they are getting old. This is kind of a neat little idea. Sure it's cool to see how someone connected their computer to the internet to post, but I also think it's interesting to see the machines people posted with, even through data transfer.

Saving it to external media I don't think counts. Routing it through an internet sharing serial device however and accessing the net via some media or providing a script to mimick html post statements I think counts. What I would love to see (unfamiliar with USB on an Amiga 3000) is an addition to the wiki perhaps on techniques of getting on the net from these systems. Walkthrough and pics would be great for everyone! I've got some gear to try and do these things but I've never spent the appropriate time or space long enough to get the project completed (Palm ethernet cradle hack on commodore, etc). USB and ethernet adapter sounds GREAT though.

Hello, this is my Apple 1.

(Unless I attach a photo, how do you know any different?)

Well done on that Apple 1. ;)

OK, you want pictures?? I got pictures. The pictures of my A3000 were transferred directly from camera to A3000, rotated on the A3000, posted with the A3000. I hope you're happy. (but don't expect me to do the same on the TRS-80)

a3000posting.png

Last edited:
Posted from my Leading Edge Model D (IBM XT clone) -- 4.77 MHz, 640 KB RAM, 32 MB CF card with XT-IDE board. I'm dialed in to the Grex system with an internal Hayes 2400 baud modem, using Lynx!

Dial Grex: +1 (734) 484-0512 (login as newuser if you'd like an account!)

This post would have been typed on my IBM PS/2 Model 25 but DOSLynx, Bobcat and Arachne all did not work :(

I don't get it. Why was my screenshot resized and converted from png to jpg? (It was 720x480, 14K)

Posted from my Leading Edge Model D (IBM XT clone) -- 4.77 MHz, 640 KB RAM, 32 MB CF card with XT-IDE board. I'm dialed in to the Grex system with an internal Hayes 2400 baud modem, using Lynx!

Dial Grex: +1 (734) 484-0512 (login as newuser if you'd like an account!)

2400 baud... now that's fast (not really). Very impressive though. :D :thumbsup:

Wow, I thought 56K with my Amiga 500 was slow.

And of the three responses you gave there, two would demonstrate a lack of ability to comprehend a written question, and would thus lead to banning. ;-0

You'd think... but those are actual comments I've seen in threads like that.

Back