• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Post HERE using your vintage computer!

Um.. if we're gonna argue can we at least post which vintage system we're posting it from? I like the thread.. only problem is none if my vintage systems are on the net right now. While I have you both here ;-) neither of you have coded a dos compatible html browser? Any particular reason (already been done, too ugly to sort out all these horribly designed web pages, HTML protocol a bit of a PITA)? On the bright side one could probably do it via telnet.

Last edited:
I thought about using telnet to reply to this thread. You can certainly use a telnet client to connect to port 80 and use GET commands to navigate. But a telnet client can't handle an HTTP POST operation, so replying becomes impossible.

Telnet to another machine running a text mode browser works. I've done that before, and it's a good test of the terminal emulation. But that's getting a lot of help from the extra machine you are using.

We really need a telnet BBS. :)

I thought about using telnet to reply to this thread. You can certainly use a telnet client to connect to port 80 and use GET commands to navigate. But a telnet client can't handle an HTTP POST operation, so replying becomes impossible.

Telnet to another machine running a text mode browser works. I've done that before, and it's a good test of the terminal emulation. But that's getting a lot of help from the extra machine you are using.

We really need a telnet BBS. :)
Or find a place on one of the many existing ones:

http://www.telnetbbsguide.com/

Would it be possible to create a BBS that replicates the posts from here and allows those on older systems to telnet in and see them? Also allowing them to post thru the BBS into this forum?

Hm.. I'm sure more work than it sounds but maybe posts could be also parsed and sent as a fidonet post.

Would it be possible to create a BBS that replicates the posts from here and allows those on older systems to telnet in and see them? Also allowing them to post thru the BBS into this forum?

That would be the holy grail. I think that having a telnet bbs interface would be great, because it would allow more of us to use the old hardware directly. Just going to another telnet BBS for the sake of telnet BBSing wasn't what I had in mind - I think it would be better to keep the discussions centered in one place, not multiples.

I wonder if VBulletin has published APIs or table layouts ...

I'll do it "for real" later, (I'm not at home right now,) but here was a similar post I made a few months ago (including photos!)
Macintosh M0001 on the internet!

Post #9 was done to this forum using the pictured system.

The oldest that can "easily" post on here directly would be my PowerBook 520c (which can even do it wirelessly, though.) I'm trying to find the Apple II Ethernet card, after which, I will be able to use Contiki to get here from my Apple IIgs.

I'm trying to find the Apple II Ethernet card, after which, I will be able to use Contiki to get here from my Apple IIgs.

Yeah, an Apple II Ethernet card sounds pretty neat. I'd like one of those. I'd also like to get an Atari 8-bit Ethernet cartridge. I think 8-bit computers would be fairly useless for "browsing the internet" - if that's even possible - but plain text email should be no problem. (as long as you can connect to the email servers)

Hello, this is my Kaypro II.
Text was sent through terminal to my Amiga 3000 to post. I know... not as exciting as connecting the Kaypro directly to
the internet, but at least every single character in this post was typed on the Kaypro.

By the way, the above post was a fine example of Amiga multi-tasking. I had TCP-IP stack running, the terminal program running on one screen, filemanager on another, SD connected to USB, 24-bit image program rotating the picture on another screen, internet browser open on the VCF thread on Workbench screen... all on a 16Mhz computer.

I didn't bring that up. I was just responding.

The only thing left is "what counts as computer". ;)

I didn't bring that up. I was just responding.

The only thing left is "what counts as computer". ;)
Oops, sorry; I quoted the wrong message :blush:

But, although often misunderstood :argue:, as usual I was only kidding; we're much too mature and intelligent here to have those inane arguments over the 10-(20-?)year rule/386 vs. 486 break/8bits vs.16 etc. definitions.

Of course; any Amiga is a vintage classic!

So, what is the difference between a computer and a programmable 'calculator'?

Back on topic: what kind of resources does IRC require? Would that be feasible with a text-only 'client' connected to the 'net through a bridge modem/computer?

IRC is really simple. The Apple II has an IRC client. It's basically just Telnet, often split in two frames by a client for ease of use.

IRC is really simple. The Apple II has an IRC client. It's basically just Telnet, often split in two frames by a client for ease of use.
So you could just use one of the existing RS-232 comm programs with a split-screen chat mode that many of the old systems already had? Cool; almost makes it worth while joining the VC channel on my M100, although I'd probably also echo the stream on a larger screen than 8x40 for easier reading...

So you could just use one of the existing RS-232 comm programs with a split-screen chat mode that many of the old systems already had? Cool; almost makes it worth while joining the VC channel on my M100, although I'd probably also echo the stream on a larger screen than 8x40 for easier reading...

Well, you'd then have to custom-write your own software on the system that's on the other end of your RS-232 to take proper advantage of the local split-screen... At that point, it's probably easier to just use a serial terminal to a Linux/UNIX command line, and use more powerful IRC software on that machine, doing the hard work, doing the split screen bit remotely. A little "flickery" on the local end, but the software is easy.

Well, you'd then have to custom-write your own software on the system that's on the other end of your RS-232 to take proper advantage of the local split-screen... At that point, it's probably easier to just use a serial terminal to a Linux/UNIX command line, and use more powerful IRC software on that machine, doing the hard work, doing the split screen bit remotely. A little "flickery" on the local end, but the software is easy.
What system on the other end of the RS-232? If it's really just Telnet, why would I need anything more than just an RS-232<>TCP/IP bridge 'modem'?

Back