• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Price Check: Data General NOVA Mini Computer

Exceter

Experienced Member
I have an opportunity to purchase a Data General NOVA Mini computer of unknown operating condition. It's been sitting in a barn for many years. What should I offer?
2020-06-245-small.jpg2020-06-244-small.jpg2020-06-243-small.jpg2020-06-242-small.jpg2020-06-241-small.jpg

Sitting in a barn? Does the barn have mice (probably)? You may have a big job ahead of you. Bruce Ray of Wild Hare Computing may be able to shed some light on what you're up against.

I just don't know anything about this kind of computer. I can't even find one on eBay so I have absolutely no clue what they are worth in any condition much less its current condition.

Fortunately, bitsavers (Thanks again, Al K!) has a pretty complete set of documentation here. What's not there Bruce is certain to have.

At one point, low-end minicomputers were pretty much divided between the DEC PDP-8 and the DG Nova. Interestingly, Edson De Castro, now 82 was responsible for both the PDP-8 and the Nova.

The game, of course, changed quite a bit when the PDP-11 hit the streets.

I would say that in the current condition its worth its scrap value, which is probably still more than I would pay. Mouse poo and wee is very corrosive and even if you can get the parts its probably damaged the circuits beyond repair.

I just don't know anything about this kind of computer. I can't even find one on eBay so I have absolutely no clue what they are worth in any condition much less its current condition.

As someone who bought a Nova (well, a clone actually, it's a DCC D-116) in your exact situation, it's... interesting. The thing about the Novas is that they don't get the love nowadays that DEC hardware does.
Bruce Ray of Wild Hare will help you out with docs and maybe software. Parts occasionally come up on Ebay, though they're often mislabeled.
The first thing you're going to want to see is, what's inside the machine. IIRC, the original Nova had 2 boards which made up the CPU (these should be at the bottom), and then however much core, and possibly other I/O. I think your basic Teletype current-loop output was on the CPU boards of the original, so that saves you having to find one of those.

Also, that looks like it's in a rack. What else is there? If there's something like a hard/floppy/cassette/tape drive, that will shoot the potential value waaaay up.

All in all, for JUST the chassis and boards in there, I'd probably pay $75, with no further info. Add to that, for additional goodies.
I'd also recommend testing the PSU outside the machine before powering it up, so it won't burn out the boards if it's overvoltage or something.

You should also be aware of THIS guy, who wrote an assembler, and is (I think?) working on a C compiler for the Nova line.

EDIT: this is an original Nova. You can tell because there's three rows of blinkenlights.
Also, I'm assuming it doesn't reek of mouse wee or anything obvious. Mouse habitation would obviously tank the value more than any missing component, which (assuming intact boards) can usually all be replaced with standard 74-series and the like.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think that this would be more of a project than I want to take on right now.

I'd at least check for actual evidence of mouse habitation before writing it off. I've gotten things out of barns that were perfectly fine apart from dust.

Unfortunately, the situation is a little more complicated than that. I spotted it in the pictures of a real estate listing that was part of an estate. I had hoped to be able to make an offer for the computer by itself but, as it turns out, the property is being sold with all contents so if I wanted the mini-computer I'd have to buy a house and a barn to get it. I'm not opposed to investing in real estate but this particular property needs more work than I have time to give it.

Someone had mentioned that it was in a rack, I have another picture of it which shows that there's nothing else in the rack:
IMG_20200624_121537-small.jpg

I'm in Colchester (Mallett's Bay). I've had a Nova/3 in the past and currently parts of DG Eclipse S/130 and S/140s. It is indeed a Nova 1200. It may or may not be restorable, but Bruce H. is the go-to guy for all things vintage DG, as mentioned.

Ihese were often used in print shops, process control, and small business accounting. Or maybe it's from an IBM-Essex Junction computer hobbiest?

The sad thing is the property buyer will have no idea what it is, nor any interest in dealing with it, so almost certainly it will go to Chittenden Solid Waste District (if near Burlington) or what ever the local tip is, and end up in Coventry or at a metal scrapper. IMO it'd be worth asking the selling agent to communicate with the buyer to see if they'd be interesting in at least getting something for it. A positive response to such an offer is not unusual, we've bought vintage furniture and other items from houses that were for sale, things of interest, in that way. IMO it's worth the effort to save it, whatever it's final fate may be. I'm out of town but will be back July 1 - 10, if I can be of assistance PM me if you wish.

I'm in Colchester (Mallett's Bay). I've had a Nova/3 in the past and currently parts of DG Eclipse S/130 and S/140s. It is indeed a Nova 1200. It may or may not be restorable, but Bruce H. is the go-to guy for all things vintage DG, as mentioned.

Ihese were often used in print shops, process control, and small business accounting. Or maybe it's from an IBM-Essex Junction computer hobbiest?

The sad thing is the property buyer will have no idea what it is, nor any interest in dealing with it, so almost certainly it will go to Chittenden Solid Waste District (if near Burlington) or what ever the local tip is, and end up in Coventry or at a metal scrapper. IMO it'd be worth asking the selling agent to communicate with the buyer to see if they'd be interesting in at least getting something for it. A positive response to such an offer is not unusual, we've bought vintage furniture and other items from houses that were for sale, things of interest, in that way. IMO it's worth the effort to save it, whatever it's final fate may be. I'm out of town but will be back July 1 - 10, if I can be of assistance PM me if you wish.
It's funny you should mention that these were often used in print shops because the owner was planning to open one before his health deteriorated.

Back