• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Prices of S-100 Memory cards in 1978

Hugo Holden

Veteran Member
Processor Technology realized that the punters were struggling to assemble their complex memory card kits in 1978 , they must have had a lot of returns with solder bridges and heat damaged parts etc.

So they offered their 16kRA dynamic memory card, assembled by them as a "Semikit". See attached clip for their advertising of the Semikit.

The price of that was amazing, I looked up the current value:

$369 in 1978 dollars equals $1,679.73 in 2023, Gulp! About a 4.5:1 ratio.

So if somebody sells a 16kRa memory board these days for $400 it is about 20% of what it cost to buy new. Yet you can pick them up for much less.

Attachments

• 16kRa.jpg
    16kRa.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I remember picking up four used failed S-100 64K dynamic ram boards for $25 (US$) each back in about 1985 or 86 and thinking I scored and scored big. By then S-100 was starting to go away and the seller wasn't interested in fixing them. All of them had a dead tantalum cap on the -5V line. The OEM maker installted the cap's wrong way around at the factory and after a few hours of operation they shorted out the -5v power powering the 4116's. I think the retail price for the boards when released a few years earlier was about $500 - $700 each. So things changed rapidly for aging technology.

Hi,

Today there are a few different camps ... those people that are purists and only want original vintage computers and boards and even components, then there's the newer tech that plops a dozen technologies all into one board with a handful of chips ... and in between are those that don't care if part of their computer is original vintage boards + reproduction boards + new technology boards.
The purists probably pay the most, the newest technology pays the least.

I like the idea of the new technology competing with the original vintage technology as it brings the cost of the original boards closer to an affordable price for more people.

Yes, but the price today has absolutely nothing to do with the price in 1978. Every single variable has changed. :)
Yes, but the conversion figure (off google) I think is just based on general inflation, and some parts/components probably have gone down in price now (relatively) while others have gone up, certainly labor costs, electricity water fuel etc is all up.

Back