• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PROBLEM WITH COMMODORE 64 NEED HELP!!!!!

A1239872

hey, i just got my Brand NEW C64... the probelm??? i cant hook it up with my TV!!! can any 1 help????? I tried plugging the video on the C64 direcly to the TV... no luck, I got a modulator and converted the cable into the newer kind of plug... still no luck. Can ANY!1 help?????? if u know the problem contact me at funny_laugher@shaw.ca Thanks

The C64 has a built-in RF modulator, so you should be able to plug it directly into your TV, given that:

1. Your TV has an coaxial antenna input (which I suppose all still have?)
2. Your TV is set to channel UHF 36 (PAL/Europe) or VHF 3 (NTSC/US ?)
3. You don't live in a place where airbourne digital TV or other nonsense is cluttering the frequency span and will prevent you from getting a picture in the UHF frequency range
4. You use the correct type of cable, but the one included with the computer should be OK

I don't know what you mean by "newer kind of plug" - SCART maybe? That is fully possible, but then you use the unaltered video out rather than the signal from the RF modulator.

[Note to admin: please move this thread to the Commodore subforum]

reply...

reply...

k... the new kinda cable I use is the one that u connect to the cable to watch T.V.. Okay... I saw the VHF on the manual too, but I cant find any of those on my wall. Where is most of them loacted?

i hope i am helping here, and not adding confusion:

there are two a/v outs on the 64:

1) the DIN one right in the middle of the serial DIN port and the little RF port

You would use this port if you had a cable with the correct male DIN end and the other end would probably split apart into 3 or 4 separate RCA plugs.

This sounds like you do not have this cable

2) the little RF port

You would use this if you were to hook up directly to your TV, connecting the cable to the cable in or VHF connections on the back of your TV.

It sounds like you have this type of cable.

So, you connect one end to the little RF port and then the other end to a connector that can connect to the TV.

Most people I know use those 'game/tv' swiitch boxes, and they have an input for the cable and one for the game device, in this case the 64.

IIt will have a switch to go back from cable to game, and also have either just an output connector that ends in two metal ends, which get screwed to the back of the TV on the VHF ports, or it will also have another output connector, this time to connect a coaxial cable to the coaxial connector to the back of the TV.

Then you turn on your TV to channel 3 or 4 i think,. and then on with your 64 and hope for the best.

you can also connect your 64 to a vcr and then to your tv as well, etc...

there is also a sweet connector you can get, which is very small, and connects between the cable from the RF port on the 64 and then to the coaxial port of the TV, as it has one end for RCA and the other for coaxial. nice and small device.

chris

Thanks that really helped... I've always plugged thee cable into the RF box but never into the VHF on the back of my TV... no wonder it didn't work. Thanks!!! :D

Huh, you only plugged in one end of the cable? I find it interesting with those game/TV switch boxes - I have something similar which came with my C64 but haven't used it for 10-15 years, much due to it leaked signal. I suppose things like composite video input or SCART (is that totally European btw?) isn't common on NTSC TVs? A new TV over here normally has one coax antenna input, 1-3 SCART (with different number of pins connected!) and at least one front composite input which gives a few options what to connect where.

Rf output

Rf output

I dont have a game switch is there another way to connect 64 to tv?

Back