• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems after replacing CMOS battery DS12887 in Compaq Deskpro 286e

Unllnown_K and Chuck(G):

Thank you both for your offers!

I have one local source to check with today. If that runs dry, I would like to try the internal modem first. That should also provide confirmation of a legitimate IRQ / Modem error.

What is the best way to contact you to coordinate arrangements (i.e.,shipping, payment, etc.).? Should I confirm by Posting here - or are your e-mails available. You would be able reach me at btd1082@hotmail.com.

Booch

Click on the user name in our posts and use either "send email" or "private message". That will keep the clutter and personal details off the forum.

Thanks Chuck(G).

Tried 2 local shops - did not have a modem.

I believe I have a NEW PROBLEM WITH FLOPPY DRIVE...

I booted the machine and attempted to format several old floppies so I can back-up my original system disks. I ran a DIR on the floppy to see if there were files on it and there were none. After chugging along and making a lot of noise formatting the first disk, the results came back with:
1213952 BYTES TOTAL
744960 BYTES UNAVAILABLE
468992 BYTES AVAILABLE

These results didn't look quite right, but I went on to format the second disk (Disk-#2). The result was a "FORMAT FAILURE". I tried to see drive A; and received the message:
"GENERAL FAILURE ERROR READING DRIVE A
ABORT, RETRY, FAIL?"

I rebooted the machine, changed drive to A: and ran a DIR on another disk (Disk-#3). This disk also had old files on it. Tried to format the disk and got a "FORMAT ERROR" once again. Got to the A: prompt; reinserted the "bad disk" (Disk #3), and got the same error message:
"GENERAL FAILURE ERROR READING DRIVE A
ABORT, RETRY, FAIL?"

I repeated the same process two more times with the same result.

I then ran Norton Disk Dr. from the HD on a couple of these "Bad" disks: It tells me:
UNABLE TO DETERMINE DISK TYPE IN DRIVE A

Asks what type - I entered largest type on list.

DOS BOOT RECORD IN UNREADABLE
THE BOOT RECORD IS PHYSICALLY DAMAGED
A LOW LEVEL FORMAT MAY BE THE ONLY WAY TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM

I didn’t proceed with the low-level format; went on to the next test. Message:

ERROR READING A SECTOR IN THE FAT
THE FAT HAS A PHYSICAL ERROR.
THERE ARE 2 COPIES OF THE FAT. THEREFORE YOU HAVE A SPARE BUT IF BOTH GO BAD, YOU COULD LOOSE FILES.

CORRECT? – no

Next test. Message:
THE FAT IS PHYSICALLY BAD. FURTHER TESTING IS NOT POSSIBLE.

It appears that the Floppy drive is eating up my disks… Kind of explains the DOS and ND disks becoming unreadable. Age or drive problem?

I’m now wondering if I should be looking for another 286 or 386 box as was suggested earlier (i.e., 12MHz – 16MHz).

Thoughts?

Are you certain that you're using DSHD media (high-density "1.2MB") media and not trying for format a DSDD ("360K") disk as high-density? If so, it won't work.

How do you tell the difference? A 360K usually has a center hub reinforcing ring on the media; a 1.2MB floppy never does.

I would like to add one thing to the discussion. In the 90's
I was working with a customer with a similar system. They
started having modem failures at some sites. The trouble
we had was finding modern modems that would connect at
300 baud. So if you have to replace the modem, look for
a 2400 or lower. Just for your information.

Bruce

Chuck(G):

Thanks once again for your input. The drive is supposed to read and write to "High Density" and "Low Density" disks

The disks I attempted to format include:
Wabash "Soft Sector" DSDD - "Uninitialize" - 48TPI 35/40 Tracks
Datalife "Soft Sectored" DSDD - 40 Tracks/side

I am not sure of capacity... All I know is that I can't perform a diskcopy directly on the original Compaq os disk set as all my floppies are apparently considered by the drive to be HD.

As part of the DOS Format process, am I supposed to indicate the disk capacity? If so, how is this done?

Fredbug:

Thank you for your response on the modem. The Honeywell system I am communicating with defaults to 300 baud.

After the drive experience I recently had, I am now wondering if a complete box replacement is in order...

And that's just it--you attempted to format a DSDD floppy as high-density. It won't work.

You can format these floppies as DSDD by adding the /4 switch to your FORMAT command. However, they will be readable only in 1.2MB drives, not in standard 360K drives. That issue derives from the width of the track written--a 1.2MB drive formats every other track at a radial density of 96 tracks/inch. A 360K drive reads and writes every track at 48 tracks/inch. The "garbage" left over on either side of the narrower 96 tpi track confuses a 48 tpi drive. (it's possible to work around this using a degausser, however).

If you're going to format 1.2MB drives, you need DSHD media.

...After the drive experience I recently had, I am now wondering if a complete box replacement is in order...
As Chuck points out, that floppy problem appears to simply be a matter of using the wrong type of disk (and/or format parameters) and not a hardware problem.

And of course if the modem is the problem, you'd still need a replacement modem anyway.

So, is somebody in the US going to send you a modem so we can maybe finally successfully wrap this up? I imagine you wouldn't mind...

We sure seem to have gone around and down a lot of side tracks... ;-)

Chuck G and Mike S:

Thank you for this guidance. I have been away for several days.

I will try the /4 switch with the format command. With respect to the modem - A colleague has located a compatible modem which I will obtain and try next week.

Regarding the floppy drive - the other problem I am seeing is that system/program disks used in the drive are coming up as not readable. It appears as though the drive is damaging these old floppies in some way... As a result, I am somewhat "gun shy" to use them...

Will advise on the interventions shortly.

Thanks once again for your help!

Booch

Take those Wabash floppies and bury them somewhere they won't ever be found again. Wabash used a binder on their coatings that has deteriorated badly with time. I won't even try to read an old Wabash floppy anymore because it'll just foul the heads on my drives. Which, I suspect is what's happened to your drives.

Carefully using a Q-tip or other swap moistened in denatured alcohol or Freon TF, clean the heads on your drive, being careful not to exert too much force. You'll notice that a brown deposit will come off onto the swab.

Take those Wabash floppies and bury them somewhere they won't ever be found again. Wabash used a binder on their coatings that has deteriorated badly with time. I won't even try to read an old Wabash floppy anymore because it'll just foul the heads on my drives. Which, I suspect is what's happened to your drives.

Carefully using a Q-tip or other swap moistened in denatured alcohol or Freon TF, clean the heads on your drive, being careful not to exert too much force. You'll notice that a brown deposit will come off onto the swab.
And after that try to find some HD diskettes so you can back up your system disks (hopefully you'll be able to read them again after cleaning the heads).
(Not Wabash ;-) )

Chuck G and Mike S:

Thanks for the great advice! I expect this is what has happened - it just appears that every known "good" disk I insert into the drive comes out non-functional...

A friend has located a modem that we will try in the next day or so. It is labled "FM-9648HR/1" and also says "FM-9648H/R". It has 6 dip switches and we have searched but have not been able to find any info on the switch settings... My friend believes it was made by GVC in Japan. Have you heard of this or have any info on the switch settings?

Booch

The only information I can seem to find on your modem is that it's a 2400 bps data, 9600 bps FAX modem, bundled with Canadian IBM PS/1 systems in the early 1990s. Also sold under the "Communications Canada" brand.

Perhaps one of our friends north of the border has information on this thing. From the photos online, it appears as if there might be switch legend on the back bracket.

The only information I can seem to find on your modem is that it's a 2400 bps data, 9600 bps FAX modem, bundled with Canadian IBM PS/1 systems in the early 1990s. Also sold under the "Communications Canada" brand.

Perhaps one of our friends north of the border has information on this thing. From the photos online, it appears as if there might be switch legend on the back bracket.
I'm away from home at the moment but I'll look when I get back; I've got a few old GVC modems somewhere.

Communications Canada is what our equivalent of the FCC used to be called, so that's probably just the approval sticker.

Communications Canada is what our equivalent of the FCC used to be called, so that's probably just the approval sticker.

Ah, okay. Just going from the IBM listing. These things also seem to have been sold under the Zotrix brand--and oddly, there still seems to be a pile of them kicking around.

Ah, okay. Just going from the IBM listing. These things also seem to have been sold under the Zotrix brand--and oddly, there still seems to be a pile of them kicking around.
That's good to know; I've got some Zoltrix modems as well. Actually I also have a Cardinal 2400 similar to the OP's present one, but those things were pretty generic and he's probably just as well off with what he's getting (and without paying Canadian postage ;-) )

Mike S and Chuck G:

I just picked up the replacement modem and will try.

Also - just removed the 5.25 floppy drive (Cannon MD5501) to clean the heads as suggested. Unfortunately I can't seem to see how to access the heads. If I remove the front plastic face place it apears there is a circut connection to the lamp in the plate which I may disturb...Could you provede any suggestions?

Booch

Mike S and Chuck G:

I just picked up the replacement modem and will try.

Also - just removed the 5.25 floppy drive (Cannon MD5501) to clean the heads as suggested. Unfortunately I can't seem to see how to access the heads. If I remove the front plastic face place it apears there is a circut connection to the lamp in the plate which I may disturb...Could you provede any suggestions?

Booch
Good luck with the modem. I'm not at home and can't picture a Canon MD5501, but you usually go in from the top to clean the heads (and rails if necessary), not the front. The LED is not usually attached to the front bezel, and if then it can usually be disconnected.

Maybe Chuck has some tips?

Booch, if you're in the US, PM me your mailing address and I'll drop a couple of 5.25" drive cleaning inserts into the mail. You use these in old 5.25" drive jackets and dribble a bit of perc or denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol--it's got water in it) on the insert, then run your drive. A lot of people don't like these, but they're easy to use and you don't have to open up your system to use them.

The best solvent to use is Freon TF, but I don't think you can find it anymore.

Back