• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 30 286 8530-E21 Reference Disk

brad162

Experienced Member
Hey i just got one of these machines today and of course the CMOS battery is bad and i plan on just hacking the CMOS chip with a new 3v battery in a few days but was wondering if anyone has the reference disk as an image? it seems IBM has removed all the older files from their site.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Brad

you are a lifesaver, thank you so much. I finally got DOS 6.22 installed on the HD, and got Windows 3.1 (but it's practically useless with a 20mb drive, so im dumping that in favor of windows/286)

Now, on to upgrade the ram and hard drive in this baby!

yeah, but it's deathly slow with the MFM/286 combination. The computer is practically unusable and i only get an extra 10mb of space, so it really was not worth it.

I was honestly just having issues reading 1.44m floppies until i got the disk to tell the computer it had a 1.44mb drive installed, it kept telling dos it was a 360k drive, so it was giving read errors, but when i booted from the dos 6.22 disk, it read all disks just fine, so i figured i could use the command in config.sys that overrides what the computer tells dos, that worked to read/write, but then i couldnt format disks still as it said it wasnt supported.

After windows is intalled, i only have 5-7mb free, it's bearable but i also need to get some extra ram, as 1mb is cutting it close for 3.1, so i may drop down to 3.0 or 2.0 286.

I use PC-DOS 6.3 on my Model 50Z. I prefer it to MS-DOS 6.22 as it uses much less memory. I also run Windows 3.1 on it, but I have a 30MB drive (non MFM). I have a total of 5Mb of RAM in it though, so Win 3.1 works great.

well 3.1 runs decent as long as the drive is not compressed, if it's compressed you might as well forget it.

i am just looking for something that takes up a little less space possibly or get a little bigger drive so i have a little more wiggle room for when i start running my DOS software that i have on my external drive on my Mac on it (4+gb of stuff) and for the things i like i'd like to be able to keep it on there.

My suggestion, as it's what I'm doing with my 30-286:

SCSI!

Card I'm using is an Adaptec AHA-1540CF. I have a 1GB hard drive installed and I'm taking power from the proprietary built in hard drive interface (I'd be happy to guide you in doing this, I forget if I fully documented it anywhere).

XT-IDE is another option if you're able to build one, but since it's a 16 bit system you might as well just track down a decent 16 bit controller w/BIOS if you wanted to go that route.

Regardless of what drive interface you use, don't feel limited by the lack of a molex power connector (again referencing the ability to take power from the built in drive interface).

well i want to get an XT-IDE anyway since i have a 5160 and who knows how much longer the 10MB MFM drive in that thing will go, but im sure i can get ahold of the guy i met the other day who's been working on computers for ~30 years and see what he has, when i was there the other day he had a ton of MFM drives still and some old RAM, expansion cards, etc... and since he's getting ready to move in a few months im going to be getting a ton of it for extra cheap. He for some reason just wants the crap out of his garage, and i plan on helping him with that!

If i come up with any good extra parts, i'll let people know on here in case they need them.

well i want to get an XT-IDE anyway since i have a 5160 and who knows how much longer the 10MB MFM drive in that thing will go, but im sure i can get ahold of the guy i met the other day who's been working on computers for ~30 years and see what he has, when i was there the other day he had a ton of MFM drives still and some old RAM, expansion cards, etc... and since he's getting ready to move in a few months im going to be getting a ton of it for extra cheap. He for some reason just wants the crap out of his garage, and i plan on helping him with that!

If i come up with any good extra parts, i'll let people know on here in case they need them.

Whatever you do, don't bother with ST412-type drives any more. The sound is fun but access time, capacity and long term reliability are big downfalls. If there is another 30-286 around or if you, for whatever reason, part out yours, please get in touch. I want the front bezel logo lol, currently using a Model 30 (non 286) logo attached with glue. No fun.

Does the Model 30 have an ISA bus?

Yup. Model 30 should be 8 bit, Model 30 286 is 16. 3 slots in both I believe.

Yeah it has three vacant isa slots as of now, I plan on getting a potential ide controller, sound card, and possibly a nic or modem, not decided that one yet

Although I do have a tesing labs et4000 I could throw in but I doubt at 10mhz it will help too much

Back