• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 40/57/77 PSU - Capacitor list?

super-sama

Experienced Member
I've had a PS/2 Model 40SX for the past few weeks that was liberated from a vocational/technical school dumpster nearly on its way to be turned into coke cans. Friend asked about them and his teacher said he could take whatever he wanted and grabbed it for me along with another that had the PSU molested by a pair of metal shears, missing the fan and C15 jack. I ended up pushing that off at the recent swapmeet this past weekend clearly marked as a project and making sure full-well what the buyer was getting themselves into and sold it off to them. Thankfully this person has a couple of 57/77 class cases with the right power supply to shove into it and all is well with the world. I feel a lot better knowing that went to the right person and it'll get the TLC it needs in the end.

But I digress, back to the one I kept. I don't know how many hours these machines had in use and while all the capacitors on the motherboard are of Chemi-con manufacture (and I'm inclined to leave them alone given past positive experience with the ones in the sick P70 I'm on-and-off repairing) I'm not so sure about the ones in the power supply. from what I was able to tell from the one that was mangled in the other case, it looks like it too has Chemi-con caps inside and is probably going to be fine, but considering this is a 32-and-a-half year-old machine at this point (and at that, even older than I am by a small bit!) I'm inclined to at least have a kit handy for when it comes time to re-cap the thing, if only in the name of preventative maintenance.

This model shares a power supply with the Model 57 and 77, one API-9219 measuring out at 197W and under more FRU numbers than one can shake a stick at. The big issue I have is getting into the supply in the first place, it looks like the casing is held on with security torx. If I don't have to run down to the store and grab a set of those immediately it's in my better interest to not do so yet, and at that, the removal of the power supply requires removing the rear plastic from the case which I'm hesitant to do until absolutely necessary given how brittle some of this plastic can be. It's not as brittle as the era Apple stuff that gives you Spindler splinters, but broken plastic isn't uncommon.

If anyone with a Model 40SX, 57 or 77 with more courage than I to yank the supply from theirs or grab a spare off the shelf to get a cap list together for the unit, that'd be absolutely stellar, rockstar even. It wouldn't just benefit me, but also other 40/57/77 owners with either a dead supply or one in waiting. These PSUs seem to be extremely expensive these days so anything to cut the costs on a replacement, assuming capacitor failure is the culprit, is a welcome thing indeed I'm sure.

psu for these models exist under various brands, and probably various pcb revisions.
as always for this kind of work... no real better way than DIY for your own case.

looks like the casing is held on with security torx
A good pair of vice grips with fine teeth at the tips will probably do in a pinch [I'm a poet and I don't know it...]. Though a good set of security torx would be useful on other PSUs as well...

Bit the bullet and bought a cheap set from the Hazard Fraught when I went to the store the other day, completely forgot there was one in the same shopping center so I moseyed on in and grabbed one of the compact sets. T15 seems to be the right size for these.

Got a cap list. Also pertinent to point out that the fan is 92mm and has a capacitor on the +12 line going straight to it. If you're smart and have one on hand, now is the time to replace this fan, ideally with one that is quiet and can handle high static pressure.

Cap list is as follows, with Digikey part numbers for comparable replacements as of 2023-11-06:

VoltsµFQtyDigikey Part #Notes
1622002493-12077-1-NDNichicon PS Series
1047001493-15819-ND"
5012493-11321-1-ND"
502.22493-5369-1-ND"
500.471493-5371-1-ND"
50102493-11395-1-ND"
351002493-11570-1-ND"
16470*(See 25v 470uF)" ; Substitution to higher voltage for bulk cost savings
254702493-11948-1-ND"
16100*(See 35v 100uF)" ; Substitution to higher voltage for bulk cost savings
20010002493-7942-NDNichicon LGX Series, 250v 1000 is cheaper, same dimensions
27511732-5912-NDX2 Safety Cap, Würth Elektronik, slight added import tariff in US

This should satisfy anyone that needs a cap list for this specific supply now. Note that the one 16v/100 and the 16v/470 are added to the 35v/100 and 25v/470 rows in the necessary quantity (one each) respectively.
Aside from the mains filters and the X2 cap, everything is Nichicon PS series. As this line is only recently discontinued it may be pertinent in the future to revise this as needed as stock dwindles. There's a single class Y capacitor covered in hotsnot I couldn't immediately see the value of, but I don't think one needs to replace this unless absolutely necessary. Aside from these there are also a bunch of dipped film capacitors and some ceramic disc capacitors all over the board I didn't bother getting the values of as again, they're relatively reliable and shouuldn't be replaced unless deemed necessary. If these machines last past 50 years, that's when they should be replaced, if the words of the great and powerful Shango hold any light here to that. These supplies contain a mixture of Chemi-Con and Marcon capacitors, with the mains filter caps being the latter aside from most of the lower-spec caps, and everything else is the former.

I also have a list for the 35/40SX motherboard...

16​
68​
16​
732-9509-1-ND25v 68uF substitution based on lifetime spec. Würth Elektronik, slight added import tariff in US
50​
2.2​
1​
732-8763-1-ND
single capacitor by the PSU input headers. Würth Elektronik, slight added import tariff in US​

And that's it. IBM did a fantastic job with this board's design to only need a handful of one type of cap, but I'm almost positive that 2.2uF is for something related to the onboard video. Could be wrong there, but doesn't matter in the end, so long as it meets spec. Anything in this list can be substituted for your brands of choice, this is just what makes sense to me within my own budget and research, and prior luck using the Nichicon PS line in another power supply a few years ago when it was still a very active line. Datasheet specifically says they're intended for general power supply use.

The API-9219 supply is otherwise rather bulky and could have been cut down in size a fair amount to save on space. This does, however, have the benefit of a great deal of room inside to work with. the screws on the outside are also standard M3 thread so one can, like I did putting it back together for the moment, replace them with standard M3 Philips/JIS as you have available and yeet the security torx bolts out the window (or in the orphaned screw bottle in the back of the toolchest). Sure, it doesn't look stock, but I'll take what I can get if it makes it easier to work on down the line.

When I get these all ordered up and have them in hand and I feel I'm ready to tackle the recapping of mine, I'll take some pictures so to provide those here and on Capswiki, I guess.

Bit the bullet and bought a cheap set from the Hazard Fraught when I went to the store the other day, completely forgot there was one in the same shopping center so I moseyed on in and grabbed one of the compact sets. T15 seems to be the right size for these.

Got a cap list. Also pertinent to point out that the fan is 92mm and has a capacitor on the +12 line going straight to it. If you're smart and have one on hand, now is the time to replace this fan, ideally with one that is quiet and can handle high static pressure.

Cap list is as follows, with Digikey part numbers for comparable replacements as of 2023-11-06:

1622002493-12077-1-NDNichicon PS Series
1047001493-15819-ND"
5012493-11321-1-ND"
502.22493-5369-1-ND"
500.471493-5371-1-ND"
50102493-11395-1-ND"
351002493-11570-1-ND"
16470*(See 25v 470uF)" ; Substitution to higher voltage for bulk cost savings
254702493-11948-1-ND"
16100*(See 35v 100uF)" ; Substitution to higher voltage for bulk cost savings
20010002493-7942-NDNichicon LGX Series, 250v 1000 is cheaper, same dimensions
27511732-5912-NDX2 Safety Cap, Würth Elektronik, slight added import tariff in US

This should satisfy anyone that needs a cap list for this specific supply now. Note that the one 16v/100 and the 16v/470 are added to the 35v/100 and 25v/470 rows in the necessary quantity (one each) respectively.
Aside from the mains filters and the X2 cap, everything is Nichicon PS series. As this line is only recently discontinued it may be pertinent in the future to revise this as needed as stock dwindles. There's a single class Y capacitor covered in hotsnot I couldn't immediately see the value of, but I don't think one needs to replace this unless absolutely necessary. Aside from these there are also a bunch of dipped film capacitors and some ceramic disc capacitors all over the board I didn't bother getting the values of as again, they're relatively reliable and shouuldn't be replaced unless deemed necessary. If these machines last past 50 years, that's when they should be replaced, if the words of the great and powerful Shango hold any light here to that. These supplies contain a mixture of Chemi-Con and Marcon capacitors, with the mains filter caps being the latter aside from most of the lower-spec caps, and everything else is the former.

I also have a list for the 35/40SX motherboard...

16​
68​
16​
732-9509-1-ND25v 68uF substitution based on lifetime spec. Würth Elektronik, slight added import tariff in US
50​
2.2​
1​
732-8763-1-ND
single capacitor by the PSU input headers. Würth Elektronik, slight added import tariff in US​

And that's it. IBM did a fantastic job with this board's design to only need a handful of one type of cap, but I'm almost positive that 2.2uF is for something related to the onboard video. Could be wrong there, but doesn't matter in the end, so long as it meets spec. Anything in this list can be substituted for your brands of choice, this is just what makes sense to me within my own budget and research, and prior luck using the Nichicon PS line in another power supply a few years ago when it was still a very active line. Datasheet specifically says they're intended for general power supply use.

The API-9219 supply is otherwise rather bulky and could have been cut down in size a fair amount to save on space. This does, however, have the benefit of a great deal of room inside to work with. the screws on the outside are also standard M3 thread so one can, like I did putting it back together for the moment, replace them with standard M3 Philips/JIS as you have available and yeet the security torx bolts out the window (or in the orphaned screw bottle in the back of the toolchest). Sure, it doesn't look stock, but I'll take what I can get if it makes it easier to work on down the line.

When I get these all ordered up and have them in hand and I feel I'm ready to tackle the recapping of mine, I'll take some pictures so to provide those here and on Capswiki, I guess.
Whoops, small edit, there's TWO 4700µF 10v caps. TWO OF THEM. to anyone looking to do this later... now I need to put one in the next order I do, whoops.
Also heavily suggest the use of a desoldering gun on the two vertical boards inside the power supply, I believe these have something to do with the startup. The traces and pads are VERY thin and you WILL rip one or two out if you're not careful. I had to do a couple bodges to mine after I realized this and turned my temperature down from where I usually have it.

Ideally you'd want to take pics of which goes where and remove them completely from the supply with a desoldering gun and then work on them separately, or with a pair of helping hands. I worked on them in place with decent dexterity but do as I say, not as I do, in this case.

All the capacitors I listed here fit perfectly in the supply. The only one that didn't fit exactly was the 1µF X2 film cap, but that's okay to sit above the board a bit, just bend the leads out, no-harm-no-foul.
PSU is exactly within spec afterwards, no need to fiddle with anything. I left the low-value ceramic disc caps and dipped caps alone, so I did not get a read on any of those values, just went straight for the jugular.

With regards to the fan itself, again it IS indeed 92mm, I replaced mine with a Sunon I had on hand and spliced the power cabling onto the original fan's wire, but ideally while some may not like the pulsing sound from it, a Nidec TA350DC 3-pin fan with a visible thermistor (usually a blue component sticking out the middle on the back) is the way to go... is what I would say, but given the entire system relies on that fan for airflow, it's probably a good idea to replace it with a quiet and fast fan such as something in the Noctua lineup or whatever other fan brand you desire. IBM used a lot of different brands of fans over the years and I do recall SuperRed? as being one of the quietest and fastest they used for case cooling. I don't think this brand exists anymore and as such your mileage is going to vary with anything you find on eBay or the like. in reality, any 92mm fan will work. just make sure you do your testing beforehand and understand how the noise changes with regards to it up against a metal grille and in a confined space.

I've also seen there's a couple revisions of the PS/2 35/40SX motherboards with a couple of bigger caps by the power rails. As I don't have one of these newer boards I can't pinpoint what the value is. Mine hails from release in April of 91. I'm guessing the revision hails from somewhere in late 1991 or early 1992, and also were first shipped with the BIOS updates from those times.

Back