• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 80, install OS/2 Warp 3 from second HDD?

Dagwood

Experienced Member
I would like to install OS/2 Warp 3, for which I have original media, to my PS/2 model 80 with the following drive configuration.

A: 1.44 Floppy
C: 120GB SCSI Formatted fresh and MS-DOS 6.22 installed, boots
D: 400GB SCSI Formatted clean, copied OS/2 Warp 3 CD-ROM contents to it using another computer
?: SCSI CD-ROM (non functional)

Is it possible to install OS/2 to the C: hard drive from the D: hard drive instead of a CD-ROM? I would imagine the boot floppies attempt to load a CD-ROM driver and then want to use that path as the source, how to over-ride? I'm starting to look at the contents of the two floppy disks but I figured it best to ask advice on this.

Thank you.

Nevermind, it installed quite smoothly! I guess I was expecting more trouble.

Hold up.
You put a 400gb hard drive in a model 80 and nothing complained?: :shocked:
If it didn't complain about the 120GB why would it complain about the 400GB?

As an aside, why would you need either of those drive sizes on that particular machine?

For future visitors who may not understand... GB was a typo on my part instead of MB and I couldn't find a way to edit my post to correct it.

:lol: You think you're joking, don't you? :D

In theory, it's only a case of a custom BIOS for the IBM Fast+Wide Adapter/A and some SC.EXE and Set and View SCSI devices hacking to support >3.94GB HDs. This was not even considered a possible necessity at the time of their design.

Back