• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 90 error code

Druid6900

Veteran Member
I have a couple of 8590s (0H5 and 085), Type 2 complex (xLx DX2-50), SCSI controllers, no internal drives other than the floppy, 1 memory card each with 16MB, 3COM ethernet card. Both are decked out the same.

Both come up with error code I999002x (x being either 2, 3 or 6, depending on what floppy you are trying to boot from).

I've pulled the SCSI and ethernet card, tried swapping around the memory boards (they are the good ones without the electrolytics and the complex cards have the "good" ROM), pulled the CMOS battery (they are both good) overnight and all to no avail. You get to the error and it sits there.

I've never seen this type of error code and can find no info on it at all.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA

...Both come up with error code I999002x (x being either 2, 3 or 6, depending on what floppy you are trying to boot from)...

...I've never seen this type of error code and can find no info on it at all.

IML (Initial Machine Load) error. This level of PS/2 could have the configuration in a system partition. Always go right to the source: http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/errors/IML-Errors.html

IML (Initial Machine Load) error. This level of PS/2 could have the configuration in a system partition. Always go right to the source: http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/errors/IML-Errors.html

Thank you kindly for the link. I guess I missed it in my search because I was going for the exact error code instead of I999XXXX. Who knew?

Switching the J10 jumper back and forth (and back and forth) and using the reference diskette, I was able to get it up and working.

Since i have none of the little (I'm assuming plastic in the lower bays) mounting sleds, these two are going to get shelfed for a while until I can track some down and mount a SCSI drive in each.

If anyone has a couple of these mounting kits, I would be happy to trade a good (though unpopulated) memory card for the 90/95 for them. It's one of the "good" ones without the electrolytics (as mentioned about) and, when populated with chips from the other boards, works fine.

Thank you kindly for the link. I guess I missed it in my search because I was going for the exact error code instead of I999XXXX. Who knew?

Switching the J10 jumper back and forth (and back and forth) and using the reference diskette, I was able to get it up and working.

Since i have none of the little (I'm assuming plastic in the lower bays) mounting sleds, these two are going to get shelfed for a while until I can track some down and mount a SCSI drive in each.

If anyone has a couple of these mounting kits, I would be happy to trade a good (though unpopulated) memory card for the 90/95 for them. It's one of the "good" ones without the electrolytics (as mentioned about) and, when populated with chips from the other boards, works fine.

The lower bays had the reminant "DBA ESDI" connections that supposably aren't functional to boot unless you have the rare "Type 0" 386DX-20 complex. You can put SCSI drives in there (as the 8590/9590 have the SCSI adapter called "Spock"). On the memory risers, those are only for the Model 90 (8590 and 9590 versions), the Model 95 (8595 and 9595) have positions for SIMMs on the planars.

Look over the links Louis has on his root directory (the company I work for provides him space to put up what he wants for PS/2 stuff), there is an Austrian that is rewriting drivers for the Spock SCSI (actually all IBM SCSI, as it is close in design) and XGA-2 video (the Model 90 has XGA-1 on the planar, and the 9590 models had an XGA-2 adapter). A page for the 8590/9590 is http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/9590/9590_Planar.html. Louis has some very good information developed over the years, with outside contributions too.

Some (like Louis himself) do like the layout of the 8590/9590 better than other PS/2 models (he doesn't like the adapter risers on later models, whereas I think it is kind of cool for dual units that shared the same planar and had different risers). To me it is too convoluted with the cable runs through the system. But I have a few around and can always look for parts for you.

Yes, I looked over the whole site when you first referenced it to me and it is a goldmine of information on the model 90.

I saw the ESDI remnant connectors that you mentioned and wondered what the hell they were. It was easy to spot them when I took the systems apart and vacuumed dust bunnies the size of coffee cups out of them.

Both are working fine and I know what you mean about the cabling. Love that weight on the SCSI cable that sits in the memory riser hold-down bracket.

About the only parts I need would be 2 hard drive sleds, everything else seems to be there.

Thanks again for the link.

Back