• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 P70 and GOTEK floppy Emulator - Disk Change?

MattisLind

Veteran Member
I just soldered a small adapter cable to connect a GOTEK floppy emulator with a PS/2 P70 floppy port. It was just a matter of re-arranging the signals and pulling out the power leads to the GOTEK power connector.

And yes it did work. Except for one thing: If I switched to a another floppy image in the emulator doing "DIR A:" gave the same directory as previously. I take it that the PS/2 uses the disk change signal. Doing the same test on a regular PC give the correct result. It seems to access the floppy all the time while the PS/2 seems to cache things.

6iwqHmNm.jpg
QwI7YZim.jpg

As anyone a solution for this? It would be so nice to put together all the floppies I would like to install on to a USB stick and then do an installation rather than copying everything to heaps of 3.5 inch diskettes.

According to this schematic disk change on the GOTEK is on pin 2. Is this correct?

Last edited:
It turns out that the schematic someone created is not entirely correct or the firmware has changed since it do work connecting the PIN 34 of the GOTEK to PIN 34 on the PS/2. So the straight cable would have been the correct choice from the beginning but the schematics fooled me.

Now it works - almost. If you are to eager to change floppy image on the gotek it will probably issue the disk change slightly to early and then it will not be recognized.

So all in all the cable seems to work with the GOTEK I received. Firmware 126 as far as I can tell from the LED display.

Last edited:
Is this going through your rear FDD connector or did you wire it up to replace the internal one? I was thinking of doing the same but luckily was finally able to get a working FDD so it doesn't matter as much any more.

And for large storage transfer I'm just gonna use my Iomega drive anyway. And when I finally get my NIC working I can use that too :)

rmPfBtKl.jpg

I tried to boot AIX from floppy but it seems to fail when reading from the gotek. It seems that it is quite random when the failures occur. Just once I managed to read the entire kernel. I have tried two different memory sticks so I don't think that one is involved. The AIX bootup prints the offset it is trying to read in and when it fails it stays on the same offset for some time then the failure message is received. It seems like it is retrying multiple times and then giving up.

What is the general experience with gotek emulators?

There could also be a chance that the machine has problems reading from the floppy. The original floppy was not working at all but I attributed that problem to the drive, not the motherboard (planar in IBM terminology), as that seems to be very common. There is definitely one SMD capacitor that has leaked.

I just soldered a small adapter cable to connect a GOTEK floppy emulator with a PS/2 P70 floppy port. It was just a matter of re-arranging the signals and pulling out the power leads to the GOTEK power connector.

And yes it did work. Except for one thing: If I switched to a another floppy image in the emulator doing "DIR A:" gave the same directory as previously. I take it that the PS/2 uses the disk change signal. Doing the same test on a regular PC give the correct result. It seems to access the floppy all the time while the PS/2 seems to cache things.

6iwqHmNm.jpg
QwI7YZim.jpg

As anyone a solution for this? It would be so nice to put together all the floppies I would like to install on to a USB stick and then do an installation rather than copying everything to heaps of 3.5 inch diskettes.

According to this schematic disk change on the GOTEK is on pin 2. Is this correct?

This is great, have you tried it with the FlashFloppy (replacement) firmware yet, out of curiosity?

it would be helpful if u can do a youtube video on how to do this as I have a P70 myself and I would to know how to do this, I cant get the floppy drive to read my reference diskette even when the floppy drive works from Windows 3.11.

Back