• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Purchasing From the Forums

CompuNurd

I am sure there are many people out there who are hesitant of purchasing from the forums. I am still a bit hesitant, because I want to make sure everything is legit, and the transaction goes smoothly. I can't help but raise an eyebrow when I see an H89A for free, or an IBM 5100 for $100 + shipping, but I have seen quite a few of these. If anyone has any tips for buying on the forums, feel free to share for everyone to benefit from!

I've had great success buying things on a certain forum site where the identity of the seller can be verified pretty easily. Most forums are not this way though, obviously. There isn't too much computer stuff for sale on that site.

I am sure there are many people out there who are hesitant of purchasing from the forums. I am still a bit hesitant, because I want to make sure everything is legit, and the transaction goes smoothly. I can't help but raise an eyebrow when I see an H89A for free, or an IBM 5100 for $100 + shipping, but I have seen quite a few of these. If anyone has any tips for buying on the forums, feel free to share for everyone to benefit from!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the question. Why would anybody here rip you off?

Of course, from time to time there are people who drop in because they only want to sell something, but they're not likely community members. Look at the number of posts they have and it becomes obvious. Not that someone needs to have a lot of posts to be trustworthy, or even part of the community, but if all they come here for is to sell something then they are indeed suspect - though sometimes they are actually well meaning. You'll find that people who are genuine have posts that engage on the topics of the forum.

My experience in dealing with people here has been nothing but the finest.

People do have different ideas about the appropriateness of business methodology in any community. A few people sell stuff as a business and I think it is fair that they get properly compensated. However, many just trade at nominal prices. I've mailed stuff to people and just asked shipping. People have done the same to me. In fact I've sent small stuff and paid the shipping myself. What's $5 as a friendly gesture? You'd buy someone coffee, or even dinner, wouldn't you?

Slightly further afield: I see things on Ebay which are sold by someone who doesn't know the item inside out. That is always suspect because ignorance easily leads to misunderstandings. People here know what they're selling and what it's worth. High price or low, understanding brings trust.

I think the Vintage Computer Marketplace (http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com/) has a different registration system than the forum, so it is possible to find people there who are not regular contributors to the forum.

It is prudent to know who you are dealing with. Private messages on the forum can be used to confirm that the identity of the person on the marketplace is who you think it is if there is any doubt about the user IDs not lining up.

It is prudent to be realistic about expectations. The market of buyers and sellers is smaller, so sellers are not going to get a lot of exposure. There is a feedback system and there is always public shaming, but there really is not much recourse if something goes wrong. There are no fees, and a lot less BS to deal with too.

Keeping all of that in mind, I've had mostly great experiences selling items on the Marketplace and I hope the buyers feel the same way. (I've sold 50+ items through it.)

Mike

Use paypal and you have some protection. With the internet you never really know who you are dealing with, but as in real life most deals go smoothly.

this is a great place to buy. Prices are always cheaper than Ebay...I am taking about this forum, not the marketplace. I don't know much about the marketplace but the prices are good there too. TO be safe buy from someone with more than 10 messages to their credit. The forum regulars are most always willing to go the extra mile to sell off extra stuff to a good home. I am not a "dealer" but I get a lot of things that I don't need that I sell here just because I know there will be less hassle.
b

I am also talking about the "comments" section on the info page for old systems. You find a lot of ads there, however most of them appear to be from people who have one or two items to get rid of, not frequently selling.

I've purchased a couple items through the forum here with absolutely no problem (other than the crappy private messaging system). The transactions have always completed exactly as expected.

I am also talking about the "comments" section on the info page for old systems. You find a lot of ads there, however most of them appear to be from people who have one or two items to get rid of, not frequently selling.
Those are use at your own risk. Basically people searching the internet and hitting Erik's site, then commenting because they have "that exact one!" - though to my mind, they already have a plus. They've actively searched the net to find it a good home rather than just hitting ebay.

Over the years, I have purchased many items from various internet forums, web market places, etc. I have done even trades with some people also. I use the following methods to help limit my exposure to a "bad" deal:

First, I attempt to see if the person offering the item has a history. By history, I mean is he a first time poster or has he been a long time participant in the forum. I also try to search to see if he's an active participant in other similar internet forums, what type of participant was he, etc.

Second, I correspond with the person. Does he know what he is saying in the correspondence. Does he volunteer his phone number for me to call him to discuss. The important thing here is to establish a comfortable feeling about the potential transaction.

Finally, would I be okay if the transaction goes wrong. In other words, can I afford to lose the money. If I can't, then maybe I shouldn't be buying it.

It really boils down to feeling comfortable about the potential transaction. If I'm not comfortable with it, then I probably won't go through with it. It comes down to a "gut" feeling.

Bill
Smithville, NJ

My experiences on VCF / AmiBay / CPU World / DOSForum.de / Quest Studios have all been positive over the past 4 years. :) Both as a buyer and seller.

I've had good experiences with most folks also. It's just doing whatever research you're comfortable with prior to the purchase. Not really any different than doing a craigslist deal over the net or ebay. Talk to the person prior to purchasing, see if they have a reputation here or at least seem like a regular user, get some pics of the item if they have some to prove it's all good and they do have it and didn't just rip pics off another site, etc. If a deal is too good to be true, it quite possibly is although with vintage computers it could also just be ignorance or trash to the seller.

I've had two bad experiences here, but the vast majority were positive. One was my own dumb fault (dropped off a machine in person, guy promised to PayPal the funds, decided he was going to send significantly less than the agreed-on price). The other was the result of mis-communication that resulted in a trade in which I received an item I didn't expect, but the seller decided he was going to refuse to make it right.

I've bought, sold, and traded a good bit of stuff here, and except for these two cases everything went smoothly. Sometimes stuff takes a little while to get shipped out, but most of us aren't running a retail business so that's understandable. I've also had a lot of people help me over the years (here, but especially the Obsolete Computer Helpline, when that was a thing) for free, or for the cost of postage.

I've had only one bad experience--a guy who purchased from me and paid using Paypal. PP reported that his credit card bounced and debited the amount from my account. Attempts to reach the guy failed. But I know who he is, so he'd best not show his face here--ever.

Some days the bear gets you.

This doesn't make sense to me. If his credit card "bounced", why would PP take the funds from your account?

I've heard that can happen if the person paying then does a "not as described" using the *credit card company*, supposedly there's nothing PayPal can do about it.

This doesn't make sense to me. If his credit card "bounced", why would PP take the funds from your account?

PP first credited my account, then when the bounce had been reported, debited it by the same amount. Of course, I was still out my cost of shipping and the item.

Yeah actually I've only had one bad sale but from a member I consider legit and in good standing. I can't prove anything bad happened but they shipped a nice hard to find game and it never arrived. Sort of both our faults for not having tracking on the item which would have let both of us know what happened. Ironically I saw a sale of the same game not too far after but from another collector in the area (Also someone who seemingly has a good reputation) but it did make me wonder.

But that was a good reminder/lesson learned. Always get/request tracking on the shipment. Comfort for both sides.

Back