• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quantex conversion

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
I have a old quantex that has just a pentium 1 75mhz, and I was thinking about gutting it and converting it to ATX form factor. I am tired of looking at my computers current case. But I never get tired of looking at the quantex case. I think it is just cool looking, but with most quantex's, it has no marking to indicate what model it is. As far as I can tell, its a QP5 pentium. It has a pentium, and 72pin ram, and was the only model on cruicial's ram finder that had 72pin ram and had pentium in the model name. Anyways, I was wondering, do you guys think I should gut this thing?

Why bother with it? What's so special about it?

Fitting an ATX board into a non-ATX case can be a real hassle. Remember that you'll have to replace the PSU in addition to the hacksaw work on the case. Too much work, IMOHO, for a rather ordinary Chinese minitower.

Now, if you'd like to try to retrofit an ATX board into a 5150 PC box, I'd say, "Go for it--and good luck!"

This quantex case is big, bigger than my full ATX computer case, wider too. It already has a atx PSU spot in the back. Lots of room for good air flow too, and to put plenty of fans. It is also really strong, before I had it running, I used it as a chair. My current case is made out of flimsy thin aluminum. This case is made of big, thick steel (even starting to surface rust in some spots, already treating it,) and has lots of support members on the inside.

Well, okay, what the heck. People put PCs in old radios and TVs for yucks. Your case mods will probably go faster if you use a metal nibbler instead of a saw or drill and file.

If you want something beefy, though, get a rack-mount PC chassis. Great filtered airflow, weighs a ton (especially when you put it in an EIA rack), made to last the millenium. Most will also accommodate oversized (e.g. 11 slot) mobos.

Back