• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quantum ProDrive identification

Syntho

Experienced Member
I'm tinkering with some old systems and trying to remember how all of this worked back in the 90s. The deal is, I've got a 386 machine with an earlier bios/cmos than I'm used to, and from what I can tell, later versions of motherboards automatically sensed hard drive settings, but if you've got one like I do, you've got to enter your hard drive settings manually in cmos. Right?

So I start looking around for settings for this hard drive but I'm finding conflicting information about the exact model. On the drive itself it says Quantum ProDrive LPS, and on the side it says 84AT, 980-80-9105. I'm not finding much about an '84AT' drive anywhere except this one post from 1997: http://www.verycomputer.com/7_ceac0a96723db2fc_1.htm

I put the drive into a newer PC and this is the info it gave me:

Capacity: 81.28mb
Model: LP85A 980809105
Revision 2.3

I almost want to say that where it says '84AT' on the drive itself is a typo because I'm seeing information about an 80 and an 85 drive online, but nothing about an 84. Here are two links of interest:

^^^ nothing about an 84 drive. And to further complicate things, my drive says "ProDrive LPS" on the top of it, and the links above have a ProDrive 85 page, but not a ProDrive -LPS- 85, nor an LPS 85 (or any 84 for that matter).

The note on the very bottom of page 1 of the pdf also says that if you have a drive that doesn't match the exact settings specs posted within it to use user-definable settings, so that may be hinting that there are drives out there with slightly different specs.

Anyway, this whole thing is confusing. Maybe I need to get a newer system that will auto-sense the settings so I can see what they are (if they can even do that?). I've got a lot of reading to do, I don't remember any of this crap :p

Welcome to the forum, @Syntho !

It’s very common for older drives to have multiple names, so this problem is far from unique. I found the following reference guide:

The way to solve it 100% would be to use a USB to IDE adapter, and to attach it to a modern Linux-based machine. That way you can see the exact drive parameters. An adapter like this would work:

You can use fdisk, on Linux, to reveal the disk geometry as detected by the system:

Hope that helps!
- Alex

Thanks for the welcome @aja, and @Chuck I'll use your little tool to figure it out. Would there per chance be a program that can tell me more specs about my computer? There are some for Windows that tells you more about the motherboard, for example.

It turns out that this PC uses an integrated board, which is what I think is some sort of MSI brand (not seeing much on it), with an AMD 386 25-SX cpu. I'm about to desolder the corroded battery and figure out a solution for a battery holder or something. Not sure what I'll do yet but I'll use your little tool after I figure that out.

If you are looking for the specs of your computer, there are many excellent system information programs for DOS. I would recommend the following:

Dr. Hardware (shareware, can still be registered):

HWiNFO for DOS:

Norton Utilities:

All of these work well.

- Alex

The drive itself has some writing on it where it says "980, 10, 17" which I'm guessing means the Cylinders, Heads and Sectors, and using the tool from @Chuck(G) I get 612, 16, 17, respectively. I'm guessing the program is giving me the better info than what was written on it. There are also two other fields for landing zone and write precomp but I don't know what to use for those. Thanks for all the help. I need to read about all of this soon.

IDESDI gets its data from the IDE IDENTIFY command, so unless the PCB in the drive has been swapped with a different one, you should have your answer. 612*16*17 = 166464 sectors, where 980*10*17 = 166600 sectors, so close. Looking at Martin Bodo's "Hard drive Bible", I can't find a single Quantum IDE drive that matches either set of numbers. So, use what works, I guess.

Back