• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Quick and simple PET question: How do I exit "Graphics mode"

DistantStar001

Experienced Member
How do I exit "Graphics mode" on my 8032? I figured out that typing ?CHR$(142) gets me into it and ?CHR$(14) gets me out. But CHR$(142) can also be done by enguaging the Shift-Lock and pressing SHIFT-/? followed by SHIFT-2". I want to know the corresponding key command for ?CHR$(14).

Note: The poke commands (POKE 59468,12 and POKE 59468,14) will switch between the upper and lower case sets, but doesn't work the same as ?CHR$(14), as this elimiates the gap between lines which contracts the screen virtically. The poke has no effect on this. Thus when in "Graphics mode" POKE 59468,14 will leave the screen without gaps between lines just as POKE 59468,12 will leave the gaps there.

Still haven't figured this out, but now I know that only the right SHIFT key has this effect. Also, with the Shift-Lock down, (right)SHIFT-A gives an @, 1 and the arrow key do nothing at all, OFF/RVS gives a ?, Q gives a [. Left SHIFT behaves normally. Is this normal?

I've had my PET for nearly a year now, but it's only been working for the past few weeks, so I'm not really familliar with all of its quirks.

Unlike 'normal' keyboards (if there is such a thing) the PET left-shift and right-shift are separate keys in the key matrix. As a result, you can left-shift, right-shift and left-right-shift characters. There is also the control key as well. Don't tie your fingers up in too many knots though! Smacks of the Sinclair ZX80... Yes, I made use of this feature once in a program I wrote...

You can checkout the authority on the control characters here: http://www.6502.org/users/andre/petindex/keyboards.html. See about half way down the page.

I suggest doing a bit of 'document collecting' and reading. There is plenty of it about.

If you make sure your keyboard matrix is working correctly (and that all keys are functional) then whatever happens is down to firmware. As long as you have validated the firmware for your machine - that is probably normal behaviour...

Use my PETTESTER to tell you whether the keyboard matrix is correct - it displays the ROW and COLUMN on one of the diagnostic displays for each key you press. Also, the PETTESTER gives you the ROM checksums for everything apart from the EDIT ROM. You can check that in an EPROM reader if you have one.

Dave

Back