• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Really dumb question..

NaokiS

I have a Pentium board here, to be specific a P51430VX. However when I received it, some had soldered countless wires to the BIOS chip for some reason and disconected a pin on it. Trying to reconnect it, I try powering it on and surprise nothing happens.

I'm saying stupid qeution since I'm pretty sure it's obvious the fault, but another thing I wonder is would having a 2.8v Pentium running at 2.7v cause it to not function. I'm pretty sure I got it to boot once before, but can't remember.

It shouldn't. I suspect that someone was using the board to re-flashed a bricked BIOS by paralleling the trashed BIOS chip with the one on the board and then lifting the chip select after the thing booted. It's not an uncommon thing to see.

Well, whatever the case was, there was no BIOS oranything on the other end, just wires, so I yanked them off. One for the spares bin maybe?

Hard to say. But the setup fits the scenario. The guy had another PC and he bricked the BIOS chip when he tried to flash a new version. Since you can't boot the PC (no BIOS, right?), one way out of the problem was to use a working PC and substitute the bricked chip after the working PC boots. Then run the flash program again, and the bricked chip should be okay.

Of course, if he screwed up and screwed up the BIOS on the working PC (it happens), he probably tossed the board into his scrap bin.

The board doesn't look like anything really special, but you might want to offer it here if someone wants to tinker...

If that board has the cache memory in its slot, someone will want that. Replacement COAST modules are difficult to find.

Back