• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommendations for a GUI on an 8086

But you can also give Windows 1.0 and 2.0 a chance. Also quite nice but allmost useless... There is even not the GUI killer application "Solitaire".

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Oh man, I forgot all about Visi On. I'll definitely have to give GeoWorks a try too. I'd heard the name but that's about it. Very useful video. Does it only run in grayscale? (Not that that's a problem. :p)

By the way, I haven't tried anything yet. The original CRT died last week. I'm picking it up from the shop later today, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Oh man, I forgot all about Visi On. I'll definitely have to give GeoWorks a try too. I'd heard the name but that's about it. Very useful video. Does it only run in grayscale? (Not that that's a problem. :p)

If you put in a VGA card in your model 30, then it'll be in color. Otherwise you're stuck with 1-bit monochrome video at 640x480.

Can you do that? I thought the PS/2 Model 30 was limited to built-in MCGA (my PS/2 Model 30-286 has built-in VGA). If you can add VGA to an 8086-based Model 30, will DIP switches disable the onboard MCGA?

Can you do that? I thought the PS/2 Model 30 was limited to built-in MCGA (my PS/2 Model 30-286 has built-in VGA). If you can add VGA to an 8086-based Model 30, will DIP switches disable the onboard MCGA?

I have a model 25, which is extremely similar to the model 30, and I installed a VGA card in it without issue. Simply having the VGA card in it, disables the onboard MCGA right away. See this video where I did the mod to use the internal CRT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjnbSpuq90I

IIRC the rare official IBM VGA card (8-bit ISA) mentioned in its documentation that it was compatible with the PS/2 Model 30.

Back