• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Removing Yellowing from Plastics - Part 3

For your knowledge, that is 50% gibberish and 50% understandable. I'll try to make a word by word translation:

"In as precisely out be found, that Microsoft Office expresses 2007, makes translations. Copy what you need, and paste it in in expresses, clicks on reviewtab, and thereafter on translate. It takes supports only."

So, what part of that didn't you understand? :)

That sucks - so much for that idea !

Actually, I believe Google Translate does a much better job that the one built into Microsoft Word.

Nevertheless, I think most French speaking would understand and accept if Merlin replies in English, in particular as the content may be important.

Also consider the urban story about Invisible idiot.

Well, well.. a while ago this Retr0brite was brought up on the bbc-hackers mailing list and I linked to this forum as well as links to the EAB and AtariAge threads. Someone asked if anyone had successfully de-yellowed a Beeb, and while I haven't seen anyone in particular try, I don't think it would be much different from other plastics? However perhaps they don't catch as much yellow as e.g. VICs and Amigas tend to do. None of my Beebs is much discoloured so I'll have any real reason to try, if I ever get to pick together the chemicals.

Yes, my Beeb is kind of a cream colour anyway. But I'm sure that's the colour it's suppose to be. It's a plastic case, but is burnished, or textured. Not like the smooth plastics of your Vic-20s/c-64s, Amigas, Macs and the like.

My PET has the same kind of pastic case as the Beeb. It actually looks like a metal case on first observation. That is white and is not yellowed at all despite the fact it's probably my oldest computer next to the Ohio Scientific Challenger.

Tez

@ Tezza

The difference is that the plastic used for the PET (and possibly the BBC machine) probably had Antimony Trioxide as the flame retardant in it. This was taken out of use because Antimony is a toxic heavy metal and this got replaced with PDBEs.

If they used Antimony Trioxide they would have added less brominated material as there is a synergistic effect; the end result is that it wouldn't have yellowed so much over time.

The news is indeed spreading. I just got a post from a relatively non-active EACA (i.e. System 80) google group I administer to the effect of "hey guys, have you seen this?".

Tez

Interesting to see slashdot's influence and watch the news spread; it just hit the club100 (R-S M100 &c) list as well yesterday.

Something like this would make a great "quirky" news item of the sort one commonly sees at the end of a TV news bulletin.

Merlin, I hope you have you mobile number up there somewhere and some "before and after" specimens to show off when CNN and their cameras come calling :)

(actually I'm serious. It would make a great TV soundbite)

Tez

Excuse me for the language, but Jesus H. Christ!!! :shock:

It's now at over 46,000 reads!!! I thought we would just stay in a backwater of the Internet as we had done so far....

I've added some more photos to The Gallery section of the Wiki from other forums; these show other makes of machine that have been successfully treated.

:mrgreen:

Excuse me for the language, but Jesus H. Christ!!! :shock:

It's now at over 46,000 reads!!! I thought we would just stay in a backwater of the Internet as we had done so far....

I've added some more photos to The Gallery section of the Wiki from other forums; these show other makes of machine that have been successfully treated.

Look on the (RetrO)brite side, no pressure now LOL

@ Tezza

CNN didn't come round, but we got the next best thing; it's a pity they got my surname wrong, but I won't get millions of e-mails, so it's not too bad...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/mar/04/gadgets

We iz teh l33t............:cool:

Nice.
They'll mention a Brazillian and a German but to hell with the New Zealander and the Canadian-American, huh?
Just kidding, I don't want the media knocking on my door.
They can go to Mr. Watt's door. :)

@ Lorne / Tezza

I can fix that.... do you guys want to collaborate directly on the Wiki? If so, let me know via the Wiki, confirm your e-mail addresses and I'll add you as editors to the team. You both worked hard on this and deserve to share in our success.

Back