• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Repair Story - PC11/PC05 Papertape Reader Punch

What I really had in mind was to make the OS believe it has a PC05 although it sits on a DL11 adapter, simply by rewiring it to use address 777550 and vector 70/74. What do you think of that? Would the DL11 and the PC11 be sufficiently similar to make the OS think it as an PC11? They sure look pretty similar to me at least, programming wise. The ERROR bit differs, but the rest?

So I did continue on this project, although by no means finished. I made a write up where I am this far on this github page where all the gerbers and software is also located. I have already produced some cards. Maybe to early since I have already found some small issues that require modification to the board, and yet more to be found...

And to answer the question above myself: Yes, I think the PC11 and DL11 will provide the same programming interface. The only difference I can see is that the PC11 have ERROR bit in the status register while the DL11 has no error bit in the status registers. So the result would be that we cannot detect for example out of tape.

While we are talking about punches, the punch has a sensor coil that detects the position of the crankshaft in the punch and triggers the punch solenoids. The sensor coil in the punch on the PDP-9 is open. I have not found a replacement coil, so I will probably rewind the coil.

Mattis,

You should consider adding a USB to serial chip to your board. That would make interfacing to a PC/MAC very easy.

That is probably a good idea to make it more useful. An FT232 chip and a USB connector is quite cheap and there is no problem to fit it to the board. That'll go into next revision.

Back