• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacing capacitors on sound cards? (SB16 more precisely)

RaptorZX3

Experienced Member
Is there a place where i can get sheets for replacing capacitors on sound cards?

I heard that Creative didn't used the proper capacitors for their SB16 cards, so i would like to know where i could find data sheets about which capacitors to use instead, so i could ask a friend to do the capacitors replacement for me.

thank you.

Any electrolytic should do of equivalent rating to the existing.

There's so much noise in these old PCs that it wouldn't be worth attempting an upgrade with Blackgates or whatever in the analogue signal path - IMO.

they say that capacitor age and the fact that Creative didn't used the right values, can make the sound output not right. So this is why i'm asking.

Capacitor age might be a factor, but I wouldn't replace unless you're having problems. As to wrong values -- says who? If they did use "wrong" values, altering them will change the sound, it won't sound like an old SoundBlaster perhaps.

The primary reason early SB16s sound bad is because they lied^H^H^H^Hcheated and used a 12-bit DAC instead of a 16-bit DAC as the name itself suggests.

The only reason to replace capacitors on a sound card is if they are failing. Replacing them on a fully-working card isn't always going to make the card sound better.

Sorry to hijack this, but I have a SB 16 (I think it's an earlier version CT1740) that has uber bad sound. I used in an AMD 386-40 PC and there was so much static and noise I went for a CT1350A that sounded even better. All game sounds/MODs etc sounded like they were played through a PC speaker (you know? like how Another World sounds when you have no sound card) ;-)

Any ideas what this can be? Visually there's nothing wrong with the capacitors, I did however read somewhere it could be a bad cap? I'd like to get this card going, they're nice cards (I have a SB 16 clone that doesn't have this problem and sounds nice, although everybody knows that nothing beats a GUS) :cool:

Start by cleaning the output potentiometer, if there is one, then replace caps in the analogue signal path working back from the output to the amplifier - maybe the decoupling cap is bad.

Do you mean that volume twist thingie in the back by "output potentiometer"?? I'll have a go at this, dunno too much about this but it's a good learning lesson :) Thanx for the info, just need to find the analogue path and what belongs to it. Or would it be better to just replace all of them? There's a whole bunch of them around that volume dial near the bracket.

BTW: the volume dial itself doesn't produce any static when adjusted, you just get a louder or softer static noise through your game sounds... no crackling sound when turned.

The primary reason early SB16s sound bad is because they lied^H^H^H^Hcheated and used a 12-bit DAC instead of a 16-bit DAC as the name itself suggests.
Mind if I put this internet rumor to rest? :)

The CODEC on early Sound Blaster 16 cards is obfuscated by a Creative label, the removal of which reveals an off-the-shelf Asahi Kasei AK4501-VS:

ak4501_s.jpg

Which is described in an AKM product sheet as:

akm.png

yes its a 16 bit daq, and for audio filtering "wrong" is a subjective thing, I personally think the SB16 sounds pretty good, but I grew up with ESS audio drives which also sound good but not quite as smooth as a SB and quite harsh compared to something like a roland

doesnt mean its wrong though, there's some instances where smooth sounds muffled and sloppy its up to you, there is no correct answer in analog that is consumed by humons

I stand corrected!! Thanks for the info!

I heard this rumor in the 1990s; now trying to remember where it was first perpetuated. I blame Usenet.

There's no reason a 12 bit DAC should sound bad anyway. That's about FM radio quality which can sound very good. The Amiga has an 8 bit DAC which can sound very good too. If you want to discuss bad sound quality we could talk about the onboard audio on my current PC, a Dell XPS 8700, which is the worst I've ever experienced. I used to think PC manufacturers had gotten their act together regarding this but apparently not.

The early Sound Blaster 16s had pretty poor 8-bit digital sound output quality. There is a level of hiss in sample playback and pops and clicks when using certain 8-bit playback modes. The filtering and amplification left much to be desired. In 1992 and 1993 most people were still using 8-bit digital sound and the SB16 was not that impressive.

Back