• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Request: get the old theme back as an option

commodorejohn

Veteran Member
As mbrutman requested, I'm going to start a request thread for this. Can we please have the old forum theme as an option? I don't even particularly care if it uses the new logo, but this new color scheme is unpleasant and I'd like the old one back.

I agree.

I didn't necessarily like the old one, but it seems vBuillten is capable of multiple themes we could use, and some options would be nice.

Personally I think both the old and new were fine, but perhaps it would help if folks could be more specific?

Comparing the old and new side by side, the only differences I see are:

The post title bars a are a little greener, to match the new logo.
The logo and menu area at the top take up a bit more space.
The menu/section bar has a black background.
The drop down items in the menu (community/forum actions/quick links) no longer highlight during mouseover.
The page background is black, and extends around the page content.

I suspect the black background may be what is turning people off? While people here may like the naturally black background of DOS programs and green-screen monitors, I've noted average people tend to prefer white paper page-like backgrounds (like Macintosh :) ).

The black background doesn't bother me at all.

The cyan on white strains my eyes for some reason, I don't know why.

I wouldn't mind trying out a "dark theme" with white text on a dark background. But otherwise, I think the dark grey clashes with the bright white and green.

I'd like to have the old forum theme as an option in the 'style switcher' drop down, And dare i say it, Without the new logo.
A choice would be great

Can we please have the old forum theme as an option? I don't even particularly care if it uses the new logo, but this new color scheme is unpleasant and I'd like the old one back.

The new color scheme is unpleasant, and I would like to have the old color scheme available as an option.

Thanks,
smp

Okay, black is better, but I'd still really appreciate it if we could get the old theme as an option so I can ditch this ugly toothpaste green.

as I new user I had a hard time figuring out what is going on with the pastel + grey theme, im over that now but it did make it difficult at first

I am curious why all of these changes are taking place on the live internet-facing server instead of on a test platform somewhere. At least, that's the impression I'm given.

Why not craft up some new themes, make them available as optional themes for us to try out, then vote on a default theme?

The new toothpaste-green on black theme isn't much of a change, but now it's obvious that the top-left logo isn't transparent, since it still remains the previous grey.

EDIT: Also, why is the post talking about this change locked? That seems to discourage discussing these changes.

Ok, it finally hit me what the issue is with the black. As I'm squinting here in the dark looking at only one new post so a good chunk of the black was visible, and trying to look back up a the menu bar, it is visually strenuous to switch back and forth between reading black on white and white on black, especially when the external environment is dark.

My suggestion is just to "box in" the logo area in black like it was on the old site, but have the rest of the background white-ish and the menu bar (About, Articles, etc) something other than black.

As for the toothpaste green, I'm not sure I would want to use a toothpaste that exact color. :) Colgate blue FTW. I suppose it is supposed to be "circuit board green" to match the logo. I'd suggest just making that a hair lighter or darker, but I noticed on some pages it uses black text on the green while others it uses white text on green. So that would need to be standardized first.

Back