• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restoring Multiple PS/2 Model 95s | Part III: Three Out of Six Ain't Bad Edition

9585 Update!

So after spraying the whole case and case plastics down with bleach and hosing them off with hot water, the case looked somewhat better and was definitely much "cleaner" sadly a lot of rust remained. Mainly on the metal DASD bay cover plate on the front and bottom of the case. After an application of some rust remover gel though, it started looking a lot better. It definitely could use a second application, however.

IMG_20190712_173956.jpg

On a side note, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the weird patterns the gel leaves on the metal.

You're more patient than I would have been. The rust has eaten off the zinc plating on the parts, so you might as well take wire wheel to the rusty areas and get rid of the corrosion altogether, then using a "cold zinc aerosol", re-coat the affected areas. It won't look like new, but it'll be protected and pretty close. There are several brands of the "cold galvanizing" spray; Here's one

You're more patient than I would have been. The rust has eaten off the zinc plating on the parts, so you might as well take wire wheel to the rusty areas and get rid of the corrosion altogether, then using a "cold zinc aerosol", re-coat the affected areas. It won't look like new, but it'll be protected and pretty close. There are several brands of the "cold galvanizing" spray; Here's one

Low patience is exactly why I try and have multiple projects going at once :lol: If I have to wait for one to sit around and "bake" so to speak, I'll hop over to another. Thanks for the tip on galvanizing spray! It should look a lot better than just leaving it "as-is".

9585 Update!

So after spraying the whole case and case plastics down with bleach and hosing them off with hot water, the case looked somewhat better and was definitely much "cleaner" sadly a lot of rust remained. Mainly on the metal DASD bay cover plate on the front and bottom of the case. After an application of some rust remover gel though, it started looking a lot better. It definitely could use a second application, however.

View attachment 54648

On a side note, I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the weird patterns the gel leaves on the metal.

I would avoid using a rust remover gel because you'll always have issues with uneven coats leaving streaks and other weird patterns on the metal. You didn't specify which rust removal product you used, but you should be careful because some of them are super destructive (like krud kutter rust inhibitor or naval jelly) and multiple applications can lead to not having any metal left. I've had krud kutter have some pretty bizarre reactions to different things I've tried to treat and it ended up destroying them in just a few hours.

I'd recommend dipping the entire affected area of the part all at once in a large plastic bin. It looks like that face plate would fit in generic walmart plastic storage totes and you could use evaporust:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WTGKP80

The stuff is expensive, but well worth it. I switched to using it over krud kutter because it works way better and doesn't seem to damage parts if left for extended periods of time. Krud Kutter also has the harsh chemical element to it and it stinks bad when its working.

I tried the Evapo-Rust gel a few months ago. It had separated and no amount of stirring got it to gel.

The liquid stuff is _first rate_, though. Like the fact that it is non HAZMAT...

Back