• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restoring Packard Bell Legend - need help with with multiplexor IC replacement

Benson86

Experienced Member
Working on restoring a Legend 1148. The machine overall is in super nice shape. But of course there's been some battery leakage, fortunately it was only in one small spot, but that spot totally toasted an IC. It's a 74F151A chip. I can find datasheets for it all over the place, but cant for the life of me find a replacement. I've found similar chips, but nothing that matches exactly. Any suggestions for a replacement? Don;t want to power test the machine till I get it fixed. Closest I can find is this AD variant on ebay, would this do the job? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3427.jpeg
    IMG_3427.jpeg
    840 KB · Views: 29
I have a similar model Packard Bell with exactly the same chip damaged by the battery.

Working on restoring a Legend 1148. The machine overall is in super nice shape. But of course there's been some battery leakage, fortunately it was only in one small spot, but that spot totally toasted an IC. It's a 74F151A chip. I can find datasheets for it all over the place, but cant for the life of me find a replacement. I've found similar chips, but nothing that matches exactly. Any suggestions for a replacement? Don;t want to power test the machine till I get it fixed. Closest I can find is this AD variant on ebay, would this do the job? Thanks!
Geetings...

I know this is an old post. But in case you have not found a solution you can use SN74F151B or SN74F151BDR. Looking at the spec sheets these are viable replacements -

Both can be purchased directly from Texas Instruments -

[-] https://www.ti.com/product/SN74F151B
[-] https://www.ti.com/product/EN-US/SN74F151B/part-details/SN74F151BD

Always compare spec sheets for self verification before moving forward. Always best to double check.

Cheers...

Last edited:
You might also consider a 74S151 or 74AS151. "F" was pretty much Fairchild's term for fast Schottky logic; there are other similar logic families from other vendors.

The original component as it seen in first post photo, was manufactured from NS. A early logo of the National Semiconductor, a today subsidiary of the "Texas instruments".

From Wikip (and my own memory):
The 74F family was introduced by Fairchild Semiconductor and adopted by other manufacturers; it is faster than the 74, 74LS and 74S families.

The TTL family is an extremely incestuous one. :)

Back