• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restoring the 5150 PSU PSU

generic486

Experienced Member
After much debate as to wether I should repair or replace, I have chosen the genuine but much harder path of repairing. Today I went out and got an allsort of electronic tidbits, mostly caps. I replaced electrolytic caps bar the 2 220uf 200v as none were in stock at the place of purchase. After the caps were replaced, I tested the power supply with one FH Tandon floppy drive from the 5150 but nothing occured. The PSU was still dead. However, I replaced the glass diodes (i replaced them with 1N4148's.) and gave it another tested. This time something different happened. After a few times testing and the PSU being dead, one time I did manage to get something different to happen. I had the floppy drive connected and the power supply turned on and plugged in and although nothing appeared to happen at first, after pulling the plug, the fan jolted a bit and a soft buzzing sounded and slowly faded. I have not been able to get this result again but it might be worth mention in case it reveals the failing component.

Testing with 2 IDE drives gives me nothing. After replacing so many components, I would of thought that I might get a good change in the result that was not intermittant. So, I've replaced nearly all electrolytics, most diodes so what would be the next most failed component in power supplies? Ceramic capacitors?

I'm only familiar with the US (120V, 63.5W) 5150 PSU, which is a different creature, right down to having an AC operated fan.

Is there a schematic of the 220V export version on the web? I haven't checked for one.

I'm only familiar with the US (120V, 63.5W) 5150 PSU, which is a different creature, right down to having an AC operated fan.
Is there a schematic of the 220V export version on the web? I haven't checked for one.
220V version has an AC fan too (at least, mine does anyway).
They all do.
[Here] is the circuit diagram of a 120 Vac 5150 PSU, and it shows a 12 Vdc fan.
I think only the early 5150 power suppies had 120 Vac (or 220 Vac) fans.

Back