• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Retro Apple II Photo Contest - win an Uthernet II

Time is running out! Get your entries in! Remember, any photo is better than no photo! And you can submit a better photo later to be judged instead.

I submitted mine !!! Too bad it's limited to Apple II. I have more S-100 firepower in my arsenal now :D

Larry G

Yeah too bad I'm not an octopus, but with only two arms I manage to support a vintage Mac and Apple II hobby! :)

The contest ends tomorrow. That's the last day that any photos will be accepted!

My Apple II then and now

My Apple II then and now

Photo taken in 1983 at my apartment. The lady became my wife and the gentleman at the keyboard became my business partner and life long friend.

All of this hardware including the table and two of the people are seen in my other photo taken 32 years later in 2015.

Scan-120524-0003.jpg

Here is my Apple II with it's original hardware. 9 inch Sanyo monitor, Epson FX-80 printer. The clear acrylic desk clock as well as one of the binders at the left are things that I got at the 1983 Apple Independent Developers conference. The box on top of the monitor is a home made 300 baud modem I made from a few chips the engineers at Sonitrol gave me (ok I admit, I pestered them) including a 1 chip modem IC. The chart behind the Apple II is a hand made ASC chart I used when writing 6502 assembly code. Even the table is the one I used back (same one as in above photo) in the day I got at a Kiwanis auction in 1982.

The people? The lady is my wife Lesley and a top notch programmer, and the gentleman at the keyboard is my business partner (we run an ISP) and life long friend, and also the second most awesome 6502 assembly language programmer I have ever met (Woz, who had lunch with at the conference has to take top billing).

DSC_3695.v01.jpg

Those are an awesome set of pictures. :D I wish I had pictures of me as a kid at my Apple II. :(

I have a question: As an ISP owner, are you excited about the possibility of municipal fiber? Seems like the potential for another Golden Era of ISPs back when the Bells were forced to let everyone use their phone lines. If cities lay down the infrastructure and let business provide the services, I'd love to have 10 ISPs clamoring over price, features, and service just so I can get a 1000/1000 line. :)

>I wish I had pictures of me as a kid at my Apple II

I hope the judges realize my photo from retrogear1007 is an actual picture from 2015.
I made up the whole storyline about me doing my homework :)
I thought it's supposed to be a full re-enactment from the time period as if it was an actual setting.
Not then and now type scenario.

Larry G

If cities lay down the infrastructure and let business provide the services, I'd love to have 10 ISPs clamoring over price, features, and service just so I can get a 1000/1000 line.
Keep dreaming. There was a lot of fiber installed int he early 2000's for that purpose and a lot of it remained relatively unused for over a decade. So called "Dark Fiber".
You won't also see those rates for years as well given how every ISP has it's own opinion on what "high speed" is and how badly they will screw you over for what little you will get in reality.

>I wish I had pictures of me as a kid at my Apple II

I hope the judges realize my photo from retrogear1007 is an actual picture from 2015.
I made up the whole storyline about me doing my homework :)
I thought it's supposed to be a full re-enactment from the time period as if it was an actual setting.
Not then and now type scenario.

Larry G

This Photo??
upload_3831.jpg

I am Impressed... I could not get my Child to pose..... :(
upload_3936.jpg

MarkO

>This Photo??

Yes, the kid in the red shirt is my son.

>I am Impressed... I could not get my Child to pose.....

Bribery usually works :)

Check out that stereo. That is my Garrard Lab 80 with a Shure Super Track cartridge on top of a Sansui 7070 receiver. Those work. The little speakers are actually blown out. I have some good
large homemade ones upstairs but didn't want to move them into this room. They are too heavy.

Larry G

It's a reality in several cities, I'm just hoping it'll catch on in more places. Wheeler seems keen on overturning laws that prevent municipal fiber. As long as the Conhugeco Cable/phone companies keep shooting themselves in the foot, it'll only make municipal fiber more appealing to cities.

Our current means of delivering our high speed connection is wireless. Mostly we use Ubiquiti equipment (http://ubnt.com). The possibility does exist that fiber could cheap enough for us to deliver a fiber connection to each of our wireless AP locations without the need for backhaul which is currently our limiting factor. The wireless tech keeps getting faster and cheaper and so does fiber bandwidth needed to feed it. Fiber to everyone's house seems like a remote possibility for the foreseeable future.

I would but it says the "The following error(s) occurred:
The topic or post you requested does not exist"

Nevermind, looks like I needed to log in to see the page.

IMPORTANT!

If your name is on this list:

Macnoyd
Sherry Haibara
mike.a.stephens
pcjunky
Deckard
applekim

Then please log in to Mac GUI and visit this contest page:
http://macgui.com/forums/site-discussion/apple-ii-photo-contest/t.1858_1/#209060

And reply to that topic with the URL to the single image that you wish to submit for judging.

Last edited:
Only two people remaining from the list-- Deckard and applekim. When these two submit their chosen entry for judging, then judging on submitted photos will begin.

Apple II Retro Photo Contest - Judging Begins Today

Apple II Retro Photo Contest - Judging Begins Today

Judging for the 14 entries in last month's Apple II Retro Photo Contest begins today. Entries will be judged based on composition, elements from the chosen time period, and overall retro feel.

The first and second place winners will be announced on Friday.

The following is a public notice to you, applekim. Because you submitted more than one entry and because you failed to respond to two emails sent to you asking which photo you wished to have judged, the latest photo that you submitted, viz. 20150814 180914 is now chosen and will be judged as your entry for the contest.

Back