• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reviving an Orchid PCturbo 286e Accelerator Card

The mapping does hold through a warm boot, so apologies, that might have caused some issues. With the flaky board, what happens if you boot it and then just let it sit at the command prompt? Will it eventually crash, or it's only if you start to run certain programs?

I think I've made some progress finding the fault on my broken board. While converting the schematic to logical pinouts it became clear the 74LS85N comparator is key, as the data lines, and address lines relating to the port address and the shared memory location feed into it.
Schematic_Orchid 286e_2024-01-06.png

I did a capture of the 74LS85 with the logic analyser while running turbochk.com on the "working" board -

GOOD85.JPG

Then compared that to a capture from the non-working board -

BAD85.JPG

Clearly no activity from the data lines is getting through to the comparator (B1,B2,B3). Tracing back and taking a capture from the 74LS243 on the good board, showed them being latched successfully, but on the non-working board the CLK signal on the 74LS243 is never triggered. Tracing back further and capturing on the TU-50 confirms that its pin 19 never goes low.

As I was running out of time I did try to quickly swap in the TU-50 from the good board, but unfortunately it made no difference (and the TU-50 from the bad board does work in the good one).

When I next get time, I'll need to do a more detailed capture of the TU-50, as there must be another input that is different which is stopping it triggering correctly on the address lines.

Before jumping too high, did you try re-seating the socketed PAL chips? Just to rule that out of the picture.. Otherwise I would assume the TU-50 has some kind of clock input or ALE input you want to verify too.

I may see if I am able to read out the PAL fuse-config on the chips in my board, in case they have not been protected.

*edit*
I am having slight problems finding my card after I moved all my stuff across the country half a year ago, it must be in one of the boxes in the basement.

Ok - Praying that you find it!

The PAL chips, memory controller, cpu and gate array all came out the board while looking for the IRQ short. Then contact cleaner in the sockets before everything was reseated, so I think anything connection related can probably be ruled out for now.

I've traced out the rest of the connections to the TU-50 but It will be next weekend before I get a chance to hook up the logic analyser again.

Attachments

• tu50.png
    tu50.png
    61.8 KB · Views: 7
The mapping does hold through a warm boot, so apologies, that might have caused some issues. With the flaky board, what happens if you boot it and then just let it sit at the command prompt? Will it eventually crash, or it's only if you start to run certain programs?
Sorry for the delay...wanted to do some more testing to be sure, finally got around to it. So with the flakey board, it seems to only crash when I launch programs. Almost nothing seems to load completely, all with he same message about not being compatible...Opcode...etc.. The only program I was able to launch was CheckIt v1. It produces all sorts of RAM errors, but if I run it with the good board they are the same, so I don't think that is telling me anything. New versions of CheckIt run perfectly fine with the good board.

I'm getting fairly consistent with loading the driver, for both cards. The board that works is pretty stable overall. I've tested it with a number of games, QuickBasic, some programs that I wrote back in the early 90s, one that orbits a CUBE around another CUBE, the speed difference between the stock 8088 and the PCTurbo is considerable. WordPerfect 5.1. I've been able to get Windows up to version 1.04 working. Anything after that (2.0+) locks up, always at the same spot where it is about to show the desktop. I am sure this is just a compatibility/timing issue with the PCTurbo and my graphics card, whatever CGA mode it is trying to use. I can't find a reliable mouse driver for DOS yet. I have CTMOUSE that works fine on stock mode but not in Turbo. It loads fine but nothing sees it. Windows however has mouse support in Turbo mode.

I noticed that my manuals appear to be a revision or two newer than the one posted on Vogons. Significant differences. Apparently you are supposed to be able to run multiple PCTurbos in the same machine, able to run different tasks. I'll try to get a decent scan of it.

Let me know if I can test anything else.

Here is the manual... Sorry some of the pages are skewed. My scanner is a pain, without having to manual scan every page this was the best version I could get before I gave up. I posted it to Archive.org.
Thanks.

I OCR'ed the manual, which also de-skewed the pages, added some bookmarks, then hosted the new version at [here].

A wild goose chase and then some actual progress this weekend.

To cut a long story short, I captured all of the TU-50 inputs pins and everything was the same between the boards, except pin 18 which is the signal coming from another comparator (SN74ALS521N). This is connected to the SW1 jumper settings for the port address and some of the lower address lines, and must be there to signal if a port write matches the configured address. So it seemed logical it was a faulty comparator that wasn't triggering.. except... when I looked at the switch block I realised it was set to 208h. I can't have set it back to 300h, from when I was testing with digitalman's setup. 🤦‍♂️

Setting it back to 300h, and all the signals matched the working board (but still with the error from turbochk) so the fault had to be somewhere upstream. At this point I caved in and decided to swap parts. I swapped all of the TU-x PAL chips from the non-working board to the working board.. and it still worked fine. Then I swapped the R8207-16 memory controller from the non-working board to the working board.. and ERROR!
Then I tried the working board memory controller in the non-working board and success!

It's doubly frustrating because I bought a spare R8207-16 a while ago and I'm certain I tried swapping them around before Christmas and had two proven working ones.. but clearly no. Either way, I now have two more NOS ones on the way that should be here by next weekend, then I'll hopefully have two active boards passing the turbochk and can move on to see if I can get either of them initialising completely.

@Digitalman if you're feeling brave, it might worth trying to swap your memory controllers to see if it stabilises your dodgy board. I do notice they get incredibly hot so I'm not surprised they are starting to fail now.

Attachments

• tu50v2.png
    tu50v2.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 4
if you're feeling brave, it might worth trying to swap your memory controllers to see if it stabilises your dodgy board. I do notice they get incredibly hot so I'm not surprised they are starting to fail now.
Assuming that's the ic next to the CPU (left)? How do you remove those? same as the PLCC? Also, where are you buying those R8207-16? I picked up some 287s (now both my cards have a co-processor) and was going to grab a few 286 CPUs (on eBay) they are cheap enough with higher clock rates. The oscillator on these are rated at 24MHz, I assume it's safe enough to put in a 10 or 12mhz CPU.

Note that the crystal frequency is not necessarily the same frequency as the CPU bus. Usually it's divided by 2 by the 82284, sometimes more with external logic.

Last edited:
NM, figured out how to remove that LCC socket, easier than PLCC! Yes, it gets very hot, so does the co-processer actually. Let me know where you're getting those memory controllers from. I see some on ebay.

Assuming that's the ic next to the CPU (left)? How do you remove those? same as the PLCC? Also, where are you buying those R8207-16? I picked up some 287s (now both my cards have a co-processor) and was going to grab a few 286 CPUs (on eBay) they are cheap enough with higher clock rates. The oscillator on these are rated at 24MHz, I assume it's safe enough to put in a 10 or 12mhz CPU.

That 24MHz oscillator is there to drive the 80287 at the higher 8MHz clock speed through the 8284a.

1705267937914.png

The 286 is driven off the 16MHz oscillator - so 8MHz speed after being divided down by 2. If you want the CPU to go faster you'll need to swap out the 16MHz for something faster but given the stability of these boards I doubt anything higher will work!

The R8207-16s I got them from this UK seller, bit more expensive than some from Europe but gets here quicker and has a good returns policy.

Ah...got it...thanks.

So I swapped memory controllers....did not fix it however errors were less erratic. Instead of the spamming the screen with Opcode messages I only received one and was able to continue. Then I got "A HARDWARE ERROR (PARITY CHECK) has occurred" First time seeing that. Perhaps there is a RAM issue? I guess it's not doing it's own RAM test on boot. So back to one of my original questions....if I find 120ns DRAM you think it is compatible?

Last edited:
Ah...got it...thanks.

So I swapped memory controllers....did not fix it however errors were less erratic. Instead of the spamming the screen with Opcode messages I only received one and was able to continue. Then I got "A HARDWARE ERROR (PARITY CHECK) has occurred" First time seeing that. Perhaps there is a RAM issue? I guess it's not doing it's own RAM test on boot. So back to one of my original questions....if I find 120ns DRAM you think it is compatible?

Yes, that should work.

In general, slightly faster RAM should work too, as long as you don't get into the territory of rise/fall-times being too fast and the card not having decoupling/termination to handle that sort of stuff. I guess 120ns or 100ns NOS should be fine.

Some good news, and some less than good news...

The good news: I found my card.
The not so good news: all the PALs on mine are read-protected.

So all in all, I just have a checksum printed on every chip to go after and that won't really get me anywhere.

About the IRQ5 line, my card has the trace, no bodge, and no short to ground. Seems like that is a marginal issue, only some boards are affected and only some of those again patched.

Hey Paul, so does that mean with the R8207-16’s you may be up and running?

Impressive work so far :)

Mike
I will have two boards that should at least try to copy across the bios and start the 286... not sure yet what will happen from there!

@per - great news on finding the board, thanks for checking the IRQ line. How can I test if my PALs are read-protected?

@per - great news on finding the board, thanks for checking the IRQ line. How can I test if my PALs are read-protected?
To check the PALs, you'll need a programmer that support the chips in question.

You need to try to read the chips using the programmer, and for any that returns a fuse-map of all zeroes then you can be certain it's protected. If some rows of fuses contain ones, on the other hand, then you're in luck.

Hey Paul, so does that mean with the R8207-16’s you may be up and running?

Impressive work so far :)

Mike
Thanks! Well...one board appears to be working perfectly. I'm hoping the memory controller will help stabilize the other board to troubleshoot further. At this stage suspecting bad RAM. Would be an easy fix if that is the case.

New memory controllers arrived - and both work perfectly, so both boards now pass the turbochk memory map test.
This weekend I will do a full install of the drivers and see if either of them initialise completely.

@Digitalman I'm thinking it might be possible to copy across a custom bios to the board that could do some basic diagnostics like a ram check - A sort of Ruud's diagnostics rom but for PCturbos. It could help to narrow down your issue.

Back