• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RF31-EA and PDP11/23

DaveH

Experienced Member
Hi, could I use an RF31-EA disk with my 11/23 and if so what interface would I need. Im not yet very clued up on these "modern" PDP11 systems, ;)

DaveH

Errr, note to self, Wikipedia first before you post!!, I think its for a VAX so I guess the answer in NO.
Dave

I wouldn't be so quick to conclude that until a few more experiences are posted.

You could do it, but typically it would not be cost effective. You could get an M7769 KFQSA Q-Bus DSSI interface for around $50 (plus shipping) in the US. For the most part it is just another MSCP controller to a PDP-11 or VAX host.

The issue would then become cabling between the controller and the RF drive and proper termination. It is somewhat similar to SCSI, but different enough to be a hassle if you don't already have the proper cables and terminators.

I have used a M7769 KFQSA with an M7554 KDJ11-SD in a BA213 chassis which came with the necessary DSSI cabling and it worked fine.

-Glen

Thanks for that Glen , It was just a thought as there was an RF31 at quite a low price on ebay uk, I do have an RQDX3 and 2 ST225's, condition unknown , so I may just see if this works rather than dash off on a bit of a tangent.
If I was going to have to get another Q bus interface card I might be better of looking for a SCSI, I think I have a drive somewhere and I know I have a ZIP drive
Dave H

Back