• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RL02 reading problem ?

tt0ny

Hi,
this is my first contact with a pdp11/34a and rl02.
Can someone tell me how to correct jumper the M9312 that automatic jump into the console emulator ?

m9312.JPG

after startup I currently go into the console emulator with crtl+boot

I try to boot the rl02 with DL2 i see that tries to read and
the flashing of the LED looks not like on other video on the internet. Looks weak.
On the disc should be a Rt11 but whether it is flawless I can not test unfortunately

dl2.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzr-Ip7mEag

thx
lot

First halt the processor and dump out the first few addresses and note the halt address…. If there is a o240 @0, then it is likely the 11/34a loaded the first boot-block from the disk.

From the video, I get the impression that the drive is being polled or retried. So next I would check is the the Bus (BG5-7) and DMA (NPG) grant wiring between the CPU and the RL11. See EK-11034-UG-001 PDP-11-34 System User's Manual and/or advise if you need more guidance.

A problem with either manifest would itself in the symptoms you are seeing. An error reading the disk would more like cause a halt.

Jerry

You can directly boot RT-11 from other RL drives #'s, provided the bootstrap supports it. The picture does show the console emulator attempting to boot from DL2.

First, the boot routine does a reset then retry on error. My bad, its been 20+ years since I touched a 11/34a.

A copy of the boot ROM's and a listing can be found here - http://www.ak6dn.com/PDP-11/M9312/23-751A9/23-751A9.lst. If these are the same as yours, then the bootstrap seems to be failing while reading data into memory from block 0. A closer examination of the CSR i would be helpful f you can get a halt at 173146 or 50.

If you find that too hard to time, consider using a manually loaded bootstrap - http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/pdp-11/bootstraps.html . You can use the console emulator or the programmers console to load it.

See EK-RL012-UG-005_Sep81.tif.pdf page 4-4 for a list of the error codes that the CSR reports.

Jerry

My system is using the 9301 Bootstrap/Terminator card and you have a 9312 card for yours, it almost looks to me that your 9312 is set to the wrong range of addresses and is coming up in a diagnostics mode. Think when its configured correctly you will get a “BOOT” prompt.
If you enter from the keypad the address 773000 followed by “LDA” and then push “START” do you get a boot prompt? I only have a 9301 manual and don’t know how relevant that is to the 9312 but going to assume the same but perhaps some of the greater minds here can enlighten us?

My system is using the 9301 Bootstrap/Terminator card and you have a 9312 card for yours, it almost looks to me that your 9312 is set to the wrong range of addresses and is coming up in a diagnostics mode. Think when its configured correctly you will get a “BOOT” prompt.
If you enter from the keypad the address 773000 followed by “LDA” and then push “START” do you get a boot prompt? I only have a 9301 manual and don’t know how relevant that is to the 9312 but going to assume the same but perhaps some of the greater minds here can enlighten us?

To manually enter and run an M9312 boot prom drive unit 0 without running diagnostics, load and start at 773004 (or 773204/773404/773604 for the other PROMs).

To manually enter and run an M9312 boot prom drive unit 0 and run basic console diagnostics, load and start at 773006 (or 773206/773406/773606 for the other PROMs).

FYI offsets +0 and +2 in the PROMs are data structures, no instructions, so you can NEVER start at offset +0 or +2.

Don

I can start the boot with 165020 crtl+start
but i see i have to study manual many
is -14,3V psu H745 to low ? is under load
thx lot

Do you get the Boot prompt when you manually start the system?
Would not worry about the -15 volt bus too much, you can have a lot of variance and it will still work.

no i not see the boot> prompt like in your video ..i see only the @ prompt it is the same ?

Back