• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RQDX3 - format disk on PDP-11, use on MicroVAX?

leegleason

Experienced Member
I'm experimenting with old disks here. I have a Micro-11/73 with an RQDX3 that I used to format an RD32, no problems, no errors. I copied XXDP to it, just so there would be some data on the disk. I ran XXDP from the RD32 for a while, to make sure it was working OK on the 11/73 system. I then moved the RD32 over to a VAXstation-1 with an RQDX3. I am working on a toggle in program to read and write disks on the VAXstation. However, when I issue the RQDX3 ONLINE command, I get a status back of "5", which is ST.MFE, media format error. The response packet contains the correct disk info (serial number, size, etc), so I know basic communication with the disk is working.

Before I troubleshoot further, I'd like to verify my supposition - that formatting a disk via ZRQC on an 11 with an RQDX3 will produce a low level disk format that is compatible with use of the disk on an RQDX3 in a VAXstation. Is that the case?

I'm pretty sure it is compatible. The actual formatting is done by the RQDX3 itself, as far as I know.

But it seems strange you would get that error then...

Did you run any of the RQDX3 diagnostics on the disk after formatting? Like any read only media scan tests? XXDP is a very minimal OS and just loading it and booting it is not much of a test, other than the low blocks of the disk are probably OK.

"It seems strange you would get that error then..."

Likely an error in my code. Well, back to the salt mine...

"Did you run any of the RQDX3 diagnostics on the disk after formatting? Like any read only media scan tests? XXDP is a very minimal OS and just loading it and booting it is not much of a test, other than the low blocks of the disk are probably OK."

Well, my code was only trying to read blocks 0 and 1.... But, could be a disk or format problem. I just tries two other disks that I use in RSX systems for system disks, and reads of them fail the same way.. Looks like I have more debugging ahead of me...

Back