• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RS/6000 W3 RGB Video Port

chulofiasco

Experienced Member
Has anyone’s had any success with this guy? It’s an RGB port, the cable ends with three BNC.

I was hoping to use some kind of VGA adapter, but so far no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? Have you used a good LCD that you’ve tested with something like this?

The board set is 1-5, GT4xi? 24-bit, 1280x1024, 60htz 16.7 million colors.

Thanks,
Lorenzo

A cable with 3 BNCs on it says to me that it's most likely RGB with horizontal and vertical sync superimposed on the Green end (aka "Sync on Green"). If you can find a monitor that supports sync on green I imagine that would be the easiest path. It's possible the video port has separate sync pins for use with different cables, and the cable you have just happens to omit those because it was made for use with a sync-on-green CRT. If you can find any documentation about the port pinout that might help you determine whether making a new cable is reasonably likely to work.

The only thing you're going to get out of a 3W3 video port, is composite sync on green (I suppose theoretically it could be composite sync on blue or red, but that'd be pretty daft).

If your monitor supports composite sync on green, and the and scan rates out of your card, but you're still not getting a picture:

Not every vendor has the signals on a 3W3 the same way around. Depending on where your cable came from, you might discover green (and thus the sync signal) is actually on the red (or blue) connector. You should get a picture with just green connected; that's a maximum of three tries to get something on the screen. Red and blue can be swapped and it'll only affect the colors you see, not whether there's a picture or no picture.

I have a 5 BNC to VGA adapter... the shields are all connected on the VGA side. Would that cause a problem with the SOG?

Back