• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Running programs from server on an XT

If anybody get it to work, please provide DETAILED step-by-step instructions as of all this trucload of information really confuses me.

NTEPB: Try this link here. Worked great for me in getting Net Client onto my XT using the old floppies.
Well, one can certainly transfer any amount of data on floppies as long as you break it in to chunks.:p That's a long way from running it off a floppy though. My original assumption was that you would have your whole OS, plus any utilities and applications, on ONE (count em) 360k floppy. At any rate, people usually don't put large bore winchesters in their XTs.

I had a read of that link and they say aprx 5Mb of hard disk space!!! Thats a huge amount for anything DOS related, especially when you consider the difficulty of connecting to any other OS. Also considering that MS-DOS6.22 itself is only 130k, with earlier versions being even smaller. For me to run a DOS FTP client I need less than 64k and that includes all relevant programs of which there are 3, including the FTP client itself. Doing it that way, I can connect to any machine running any OS on my LAN or on the internet.

Anyway, I can see on this thread that everyone has completely different ideas of how to connect computers. It is certainly very interesting, and I'm looking forward to hearing more. :)

LANMAN settings on XP

LANMAN settings on XP

In XP, launch the policy editor.
(Start->Run type secpol.msc hit enter)
Expand Security settings.
Expand Local Policies.
Click on Security Options.

In the right pane, scroll down until you see:
Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level.
Set the value to "Set LM & NTLM responses"

patscc

JT64: So if anyone have a 720 boot image for freedos, i will jump in joy.
If you have the FreeDOS CD which is available for free (of course) on the net you can just boot form it on any machine with a CD and FD then "format b: /f:720 /u /s" and that should do it. Note that the optical comes up as A:, that's why the B: in the command. Otherwise there is always the standalone "sys" command which is about as simple as it gets. Anyway, I'm sure you can figure it out. :)

Or (get your's now!): PM me and I'll e-mail you a free 720 FreeDos image for free if you like.

Well, one can certainly transfer any amount of data on floppies as long as you break it in to chunks.:p That's a long way from running it off a floppy though. My original assumption was that you would have your whole OS, plus any utilities and applications, on ONE (count em) 360k floppy.

Sorry...I was under the impression that you were trying to transfer Net Client onto your XT from a more modern machine, not run it all from 1 floppy, as shown here:

I just downloaded MS Net Client 3.0 and its 2.5Megs so it'll take a bit of pruning to get on an XT or 360K diskette!

That's exactly why I posted the link earlier.

And yes, I have a single boot disk that will allow me to connect to my Windows systems from my 8088 systems. To get it all to run on just one 360KB diskette, then no, Net Client will NOT work. Simple reason - NET.EXE for Net Client is over 410KB by itself. That's why I use LAN Manager on my PCjr, and yes, it can all be slimmed down to fit. My boot diskette has the following:

PC-DOS 3.30 boot files (IBMBIO.COM, IBMDOS.COM, COMMAND.COM)
Bare-bones LAN Manager files w/ NetBEUI
Memory-management software (PCjr users know about this very well)

This leaves me with about 5KB of free space left on my boot disk.

Once everything is booted, my PCjr will display a C:\> prompt, and now I have access to terabytes of storage, which is all I'm looking for...essentially, a very large hard drive for my floppy-only 8088s. Any spare utilities I normally use in AUTOEXEC.BAT reside on the server, and they access there a LOT faster than my 360KB drives ever will.

For me to run a DOS FTP client I need less than 64k and that includes all relevant programs...

Now you've sparked my curiosity...which DOS FTP software are you using? I'd be interested to try it and see if it works for my systems better than my bootable NetBEUI setup.

If anybody get it to work, please provide DETAILED step-by-step instructions as of all this trucload of information really confuses me.

PM me if you'd like to try my article out. It's still a rough-draft copy, but it should work (Trixter has been monumental in helping me test it out). The links provided by Jorg and Ole Juul have LOTS of good info on how it all works.

JT64 - please tell us if all this info is getting you up and running with networking your XT. Even better...are you looking to just access a Windows share from your XT to open files/run programs (peer-to-peer networking, similar to INTERLNK), or are you looking to do more?

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Jon

Sorry...I was under the impression that you were trying to transfer Net Client onto your XT from a more modern machine, not run it all from 1 floppy, as shown here:

That's exactly why I posted the link earlier.

And yes, I have a single boot disk that will allow me to connect to my Windows systems from my 8088 systems. To get it all to run on just one 360KB diskette, then no, Net Client will NOT work. Simple reason - NET.EXE for Net Client is over 410KB by itself. That's why I use LAN Manager on my PCjr, and yes, it can all be slimmed down to fit. My boot diskette has the following:

PC-DOS 3.30 boot files (IBMBIO.COM, IBMDOS.COM, COMMAND.COM)
Bare-bones LAN Manager files w/ NetBEUI
Memory-management software (PCjr users know about this very well)

This leaves me with about 5KB of free space left on my boot disk.

Once everything is booted, my PCjr will display a C:\> prompt, and now I have access to terabytes of storage, which is all I'm looking for...essentially, a very large hard drive for my floppy-only 8088s. Any spare utilities I normally use in AUTOEXEC.BAT reside on the server, and they access there a LOT faster than my 360KB drives ever will.

Now you've sparked my curiosity...which DOS FTP software are you using? I'd be interested to try it and see if it works for my systems better than my bootable NetBEUI setup.

PM me if you'd like to try my article out. It's still a rough-draft copy, but it should work (Trixter has been monumental in helping me test it out). The links provided by Jorg and Ole Juul have LOTS of good info on how it all works.

JT64 - please tell us if all this info is getting you up and running with networking your XT. Even better...are you looking to just access a Windows share from your XT to open files/run programs (peer-to-peer networking, similar to INTERLNK), or are you looking to do more?

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Jon

To start with i just want to reach networkshares running program from them, going but finally expect the XT to be able to run telnet client, http client, ftp client and irc client.

Is there any protocol to support remote floppy mounting as local, that would be really interesting. As well of course the ability to mount iso.

JT

Sharing & ISO

Sharing & ISO

JT64 said...reach networkshares
For accessing simples shares, a NETBEUI stack is sufficient.
For telnet, ftp, etc, since these are TCP/IP tools. you need a TCP/IP stack.

You can mount a remote floppy quite simply by remotely sharing the floppy.

I don't know of any DOS tools to mount an ISO image, however, Microsoft has a free virtual cd driver that let's you mount an ISO on your XP box as a driveletter, and you can the share this the regular way as a cd over the network.

The utility is free, and here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...d58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

patscc

For accessing simples shares, a NETBEUI stack is sufficient.
For telnet, ftp, etc, since these are TCP/IP tools. you need a TCP/IP stack.

You can mount a remote floppy quite simply by remotely sharing the floppy.

I don't know of any DOS tools to mount an ISO image, however, Microsoft has a free virtual cd driver that let's you mount an ISO on your XP box as a driveletter, and you can the share this the regular way as a cd over the network.

The utility is free, and here:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...d58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe

patscc

Do you think that a remote mounted floppy disk with protection (from folder installation like MSdos) will let you install from a networked floppy?

JT

NTEPB: Now you've sparked my curiosity...which DOS FTP software are you using? I'd be interested to try it and see if it works for my systems better than my bootable NetBEUI setup.
I use WFTP which is a wattcp application so it needs only two more things to run. A packet driver, and a wattcp.cfg configuration file. Other than that, it is a single executable. The cfg remains the same for most wattcp applications so you can put it in your environment. Assuming that you have a network card in the computer and have found the appropriate packet driver, then type at the command line or put in your autoexec.bat: "YOURPKTDRVR.COM 0x60". This loads the packet driver at 0x60 which is probably fine. To run FTP, type at the command line "FTP" :p. You can now type "help", "open", "put", "get", "mget", etc. In short, you need the one executable, a packetdriver, and a small configuration file containing 6 variables: your IP, gateway, nameserver, netmask, ISP, and your computers name (eg, XTBOX). In my case those 3 files add up to 62Kb.

If you want to work in traditional DOS fashion, you need to write some batch files to run everything smoothly with the commands of your choice. This will save you a lot of work over a period of time because it elliminates repeated tasks. Using batch files and utilities instead of applications also saves you having to learn cryptic programs and figure out their sometimes complex configurations. It's a bit like being able to read your own handwriting. For me it is essential because I'm lazy and stupid ... and it saves HUGE amounts of space and computer resources. /rant :)

I can post links to various packet drivers or post them here if I have them, but presumabley others know where to find them. WATTCP FTP for MS-DOS, can be found under the name FTP07.ZIP at Simtelnet, along with many other cool internet programs for DOS.

NTEPB: Sorry...I was under the impression that you were trying to transfer Net Client onto your XT from a more modern machine, not run it all from 1 floppy, as shown here:

Sorry to confuse you. It was MY assumptions about how to use an XT and not necessarily what JT64 wanted. :)

NTEPB: Once everything is booted, my PCjr will display a C:\> prompt, and now I have access to terabytes of storage, which is all I'm looking for...essentially, a very large hard drive for my floppy-only 8088s. Any spare utilities I normally use in AUTOEXEC.BAT reside on the server, and they access there a LOT faster than my 360KB drives ever will.

OK. Now we're on the same page. That makes a lot of sence! :)

Back