• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Running TRSDOS on Z180 & eZ80

I am starting to think where TRS-OS running LSDOS could have a big impact is packet radio.

This is an emerging field and ironically originally was pioneered using TRS-80.

Now with LSDOS having access to gobs more RAM and a faster clock, some neat software can be developed.

I am starting to think where TRS-OS running LSDOS could have a big impact is packet radio.

Now with LSDOS having access to gobs more RAM and a faster clock, some neat software can be developed.
While I appreciate the thought behind this, for actual real-time control of things there is a FreeRTOS port to eZ80F91. FreeRTOS was built from the ground up as a modern real-time OS.

But, what you're doing is a good and fun exercise and a great learning experience, and can give a bit of a vintage feel to a modern control project.

While I appreciate the thought behind this, for actual real-time control of things there is a FreeRTOS port to eZ80F91. FreeRTOS was built from the ground up as a modern real-time OS.

But, what you're doing is a good and fun exercise and a great learning experience, and can give a bit of a vintage feel to a modern control project.
I am deeply thankful you appreciate my thougths. I wish my wife did. But again, thank you I am deeply appreciative.

LS-DOS is superior to this late arrival, FreeRTOS. And does everything better!

Do you know of a way to run it on easily-available hardware?

What hardware can this OS be run on? Is there anything more than actual TRS-80 hardware that I could install it on? Are there Z80 single board computers like RC2014, that can run it?
This thread lists 2 models you can order from WSM at Tindie, available now.

I also support 2 versions of Zilog development boards.

If RC2014 has eZ80 processor I can support it. I have had discussions with a couple RC2014 enthusiast about versions for their hardware but yet to have a hardware model worked out.

For most part eZ80 is a system on a chip so we can support most any project that uses this CPU.

Just a quick note as i'm still playing but I picked up an eZ-Tiny specifically to have a go with TRS-OS and it arrived earlier today. i'm impressed both with the eZ-Tiny and TRS-OS. The hardware is pretty cute and although i've not done much with TRS-OS than refresh my memory on TRSDOS/LSDOS commands so far so good. i'll probably have a go at running some programs and see if I can get Taipan running on it as Taipan was always one of my favourite TRS80 games

TRS-OS running it's guest LSDOS 6.3 on eZ80 was first port of LSDOS 6.3 to non-Tandy hardware and is currently only software running LSDOS on non original Tandy machines.

I was asked what exactly does TRS-OS do?

TRS-OS initializes and readies eZ80 hardware to run TRS-OS. TRS-OS then loads and provides a new BIOS, drivers and support for new hardware. After TRS-OS loads and is running you can instruct it to load and execute LS-DOS 6.3.

Long ago someone posted a challenge here that nobody had made a machine yet that could take a LS-DOS system disk, load it and run. That challenge has been met.

In fact, TRS-OS now supports 2 different processors ( eZ80f91/eZ80f92) and not one machine platform but currently supporting 4 with 5th under development.

For many this has become defacto standard for a new breath of life into a old OS.

Yes there is a TRSDOS 7.0 release planned with some very modern features.

I really am thankful all of the emails & support I have received. I am sorry if I have not answered all of them.

I feel one of my best efforts would be to make this project available for others to learn from and modify.

Please be patient as I learn some new platforms for project sharing.

TRS-OS running it's guest LSDOS 6.3 on eZ80 was first port of LSDOS 6.3 to non-Tandy hardware and is currently only software running LSDOS on non original Tandy machines.

While what you have done is a great thing, it is not the first non-Tandy hardware port of LS-DOS. Maxdos 6 for the Lobo MAX-80 has that distinction.

Yes there is a TRSDOS 7.0 release planned with some very modern features.

I really am thankful all of the emails & support I have received. I am sorry if I have not answered all of them.

I feel one of my best efforts would be to make this project available for others to learn from and modify.

Please be patient as I learn some new platforms for project sharing.

And again I think you've done a good work here. Opening it up to others for collaboration would be the logical and best next step.

While what you have done is a great thing, it is not the first non-Tandy hardware port of LS-DOS. Maxdos 6 for the Lobo MAX-80 has that distinction.

And again I think you've done a good work here. Opening it up to others for collaboration would be the logical and best next step.
The ported 6.3 too Lobo? I was not aware of that and if so I stand corrected.

Of course I would not think of this as a port bc original author supported and made a version for this hardware then subsequent updates.

I do understand what you are saying.

I suppose since TRSDOS was developed for TRS80 anytime it is running on non TRS80 it is a port.

Then there is a difference between TRSDOS & LSDOS (sort of).

I wasn't 100% sure if it was 6.2 or 6.3 that was ported as Maxdos 6. LS-DOS 6 and TRSDOS 6 are the same operating system with different branding. Looking at the Maxdos 6 disks I have here, there is a totally unmodified DATECONV/CMD from 6.3.0 on the disk, so that seems to be a 6.3. Further, a quick lookthrough of SYS1/SYS through SYS13/SYS looks like they are straight from 6.3.0 as well, with only SYS0/SYS being different, and with a copyright of:

Code:
..SYS0  .<Copyright 1988 Riclin Computer Products and MicroConsultants.8Portions Copyright 1982, 83, 84, 86 Logical Systems Inc.

You can grab a copy of the Maxdos 6 disks at https://github.com/dittman1/max-80/tree/master/Software/MAXDOS

Only the Model 4 version of LS-DOS 6 was ever known as TRSDOS; the Model II/12's LS-DOS 6.2 and 6.3.1 (there wasn't a 6.3.0 for II/12 as far as I know) were always LS-DOS.

There was a port to the Z80-MBC2 being worked on, with a screenshot of it booted on that board posted to Facebook some time ago. I'll post it when I can find it again.

Those are both baremetal ports, like the II/12 port first done by Kim Watt for LSI and later by Roy Soltoff for 6.3.1 for the II/12.

Incidentally, I use the word 'port' in the same sense as for a port of CP/M to a new machine, or a Unix or Unix-like OS to a new architecture.

EDIT: and I found the post on the Z80-MBC2 Facebook group, made back in 2019. Here's a screenshot of the post:
Screenshot from 2023-04-03 15-28-41.png

Last edited:
Well if we are talking about porting to a Z80 based system we had this done in 2009.

In fact I want to post pictures of our model 4 tower built about 1990.

Roy Soltoff said he didn't think it would be cost effective so I dropped it.

It is Z80 based, max size PC tower case (about 30" tall) with ports coming out back, 5.25 & 3.5 floppies with paper white display. I have all this in storage except monitor and will try pull out for pictures.

Sometime back in 1900s it went into storage and been there since.

Porting to another Z80 based system was easy for me but to a new processor family was a greater challenge. eZ80 series is a whole family of new Z80 compatible processors.

This required a new I/o subsystem, device drivers, new interrupt structure along with new ways of handling video just to name a few.

There may have been others that did these things in days before or early days of Internet and it was never noted and has been forgotten.

TRSDOS/LS-DOS now runs on popular AGON microcomputer.

Hope in near future to have a general release available to those wanting to use this on their own Agon.

Check Agon site on Facebook for more information and to follow.

Long live TRSDOS....it rules!

For those interested & perhaps already using my TRS-OS, a new version is available.

Latest version adds lots new features & streamlines startup etc.

Please contact me if you need latest load file.

Thank you for your continued interest.

Thanks Daniel! For those who don't Facebook... the Agon boot loader, allowing TRS-OS to be loaded on the Agon Light hardware (available from multiple vendors) can be downloaded from my Agon projects page under OSboot. Click here for a direct link which includes some further detail and explanation. ping @MrImprovement

Last edited:
Is TRS-OS on Github, so as to be future-proofed?

CP/M is not a real OS but a collection of subroutines.
That's every OS, tho. That's what an OS is: a collection of subroutines that run a computer. This is like saying something isn't a real car, just a collection of car parts. :p

Back