• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

RX 01/02 connected to an old IBM PC running DOS ??

Gerardcjat

Experienced Member
Hello all,

Does someone ever make this connection ??
It would be nice, both to check the RX 01/02 unit AND then to "download" DEC sofware on 8" diskettes
but, I think, some dedicated driver ( under DOS ?? ) is required.
Any path to follow for that ?
Thanks !

It could certainly be done, but would not only require custom software drivers, but a custom hardware interface as well. The RX01/2 drive interface was not any kind of standard, but was custom to DEC.

Probably easier to find a PC with industry standard 8" drives, and read the DEC floppies on those. However I believe that you could only do this with RX01 formatted floppies. DEC RX02 disk format played some tricks to get the double data density and I don't believe standard 8" PC drives can read those.

Don

I was just looking at John Wilson's site again recently, and noticed he found it necessary to invent a hardware widget to accomplish it. He also invested significant time documenting floppy formats.

He alludes to problems with various formats - like what AK6DN said.

I'm not sure any of this will be of direct help to you, but the understanding behind it may aid you in your quest.

BEWARE - this is Very DEEP WATER.

I think Gerard wants to connect the RX01/02 drive to the PC. That would take some work.

On the other hand, putting an SA800-type 8" drive for use with RX01 floppies, on the right PC, is not hard with either the FDADAP mentioned above, or a homemade version like Dave Dunfield's (which I built, see here: http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm and follow the link about connecting 8" disk drives.)

Lou

Back