• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

S-100 IDE project

Hi! I ordered the S-100 IDE V2 boards and there are several left over. If anyone wants a board or two please let me know. They are $20 each plus $3 shipping in the US and $6 elsewhere.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Folks,

Does anyone have a detailed build of materials (parts) for this board? I.e. a Newark, Mouser or Digikey receipt? Finding the correct parts without the #s is very time consuming and prone to error. One of us must have this...

Thanks

Last edited:
Noncritical 7400 series TTL and some resistors/capacitors, nothing really to screw up! IIRC, the reset driver needs to be ALS or F series, right?

Noncritical 7400 series TTL and some resistors/capacitors, nothing really to screw up! IIRC, the reset driver needs to be ALS or F series, right?

Have you assembled it yet?

There are a few connectors and segmented display assemblies I couldn't source easily. I was hoping someone already did the work of finding the part numbers so I can just enter them in, Jameco, Digikey, Mouser, Newark, whatever. Why do it twice?

Hi! There is a parts list/BOM on the N8VEM wiki but you are right it does not include vendor part numbers.

http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/file/fetch/42163822/s100_IDE.lst

Maybe someone here who has built the board can post their order list? Another possibility is reposting on the N8VEM-S100 announcements list as there may be someone there with a list.

The parts list/BOM is highly subjective and tends to vary depending on who you speak with. Personally I like to use Jameco and 74LSxxx to max extent possible but there are many builders with other (valid) ideas so I won't push my thoughts as the only way to go.

Andrew Lynch

Have you assembled it yet?

There are a few connectors and segmented display assemblies I couldn't source easily. I was hoping someone already did the work of finding the part numbers so I can just enter them in, Jameco, Digikey, Mouser, Newark, whatever. Why do it twice?

I haven't yet...put the PayPal through to Andrew yesterday!

Which segment displays are you missing? The board does use TIL-311 displays, which are difficult to find through the major parts vendors, especially at a reasonable price. Your best bet is usually eBay, but I happen to have ~50 on hand at the moment. PM me if that's what you need.

The parts list/BOM is highly subjective and tends to vary depending on who you speak with. Personally I like to use Jameco and 74LSxxx to max extent possible but there are many builders with other (valid) ideas so I won't push my thoughts as the only way to go.

Agreed. I saw someone else on the group asking for a list/BOM because some of the parts he ordered were incorrect. If anyone has any receipts or real lists and can mention what works or not that is appreciated. Thanks

I'd try and put together a list, but it looks like the only parts I'll be ordering are the 74LS682 comparators (I use 74LS688s normally, so no stock of '682s). I should be able to confirm if 74LS parts work correctly, and if there does appear to be a problem with the reset pulse not being wide enough, I may add a slowdown/hold modification that could be incorporated into other boards.

This would also be a good application for my 7-segment driver project, which takes 24 parallel bits of input and uses that to drive six multiplexed 7-segment displays (I have a bunch [200+] of really neat magnified vintage displays for this purpose, like those found in old calculators) as hex readouts. Once I get a little more time to debug it, the device should provide a comparatively cheap alternative to vintage smart displays (I think I can produce it in small quantity for around $25).

Andrew,

Do we even need the six segmented display parts? They are very expensive and wondered if they were really only for debug purposes. For instance, if I have a logic analyzer or scope is that sufficient instead?

Thanks

I'd try and put together a list, but it looks like the only parts I'll be ordering are the 74LS682 comparators (I use 74LS688s normally, so no stock of '682s). I should be able to confirm if 74LS parts work correctly, and if there does appear to be a problem with the reset pulse not being wide enough, I may add a slowdown/hold modification that could be incorporated into other boards.

I had a little difficulty finding the correct CF, pin array and SIL-3(?) connectors. Also, there appears to be a few different LED sizes. Do you have any suggestions on these parts?

Thanks

Andrew,

Do we even need the six segmented display parts? They are very expensive and wondered if they were really only for debug purposes. For instance, if I have a logic analyzer or scope is that sufficient instead?

Thanks

Hi! That's right. The TIL311's are only for debug purposes and are completely optional. They are very helpful for debugging your own CBIOS or firmware but are not for everyday use.

Andrew Lynch

I had a little difficulty finding the correct CF, pin array and SIL-3(?) connectors. Also, there appears to be a few different LED sizes. Do you have any suggestions on these parts?

Thanks

Hi, the SIL-3 are just the single in line headers. You can get any size you want and just trim them to fit. They are at Jameco, Digikey, etc.

The CF and pin array headers are likewise dual row headers. You can either order the 20x2 size or just get larger sizes and cut them down. I tend to get the big sizes and trim to fit since they are more economical.

You might consider posting your order list to the mailing list and asking for feedback on missing pieces or possibly better choices for what you've selected. I suspect there are several builders who can give feedback on parts ordering and can help out.

Andrew Lynch

Andrew,

I looked at the latest parts list. It is showing a bunch of CONN_3 (inline headers) however the board I'm looking at only has (1) location K6. Am I missing something, should these be omitted and/or is this an old BOM? Same with the DIP switches, there are only two board locations visible.

Also, I noticed your completed board had different LED sizes and colors. Is there anything you could advise that would make ordering these parts easier?

Thanks

| CONN_3 K1 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K5 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K6 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K7 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K8 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K9 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K10 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K11 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K12 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K13 ; SIL-3
| CONN_3 K14 ; SIL-3

| DIPS_02 SW3 ; DIPS-DS02
| DIPS_08 SW1 ; SWDIP8
| DIPS_08 SW2 ; SWDIP8

Hi! Thanks! For the SIL-3 parts, I would just get a large single in line header and cut it up into usable 3 pin bits. This works well and is economical!

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_160882_-1

The LEDs can be any kind you like. They are the normal anode/cathode LED. They can be large or small and as long as they are connected according to the schematic they'll work fine. As I recall, John used a variety of LED colors for variety but that's definitely a builder preference. If it were me I would use all of the standard (for the era) red LEDs. Here are some nice and inexpensive ones from Jameco.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2125309_-1

Andrew Lynch

I ordered the parts from Mouser and Ebay. Wow, it all turned out over $50 maybe even $60. When everything works I'll post a BOM from these vendors. I only purchased a 64 MB CF card from Ebay. Does anyone know the limitations in CP2.2 in regards to disk size? I'm wondering if the BIOS basically splits up 1 MB disks on drives D - P for instance.

Also has anyone tried this card with CPM2.2? I'm assuming there are subtle difference in the BIOS.

Thanks

Hi - my parts came in from Mouser. I tried ordering the 20x2 dual angled header (for the CF adapter connector) and it looks incorrect. First off, it is half the width (my fault in not reading the spec) and the spacing pin to pin is slightly smaller then the board holes.

Here is what I ordered:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M/951220-7622-AR/?qs=prfCNjPRnHNYos4JyH37ng%3D%3D

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get the correct part? Alternatively, if you have extra's maybe I could pay you for a couple and avoid the $25 minimum order charge?

Thanks

These are very common. I just get the 40 or 80 pin ones from Jameco and cut to size. For example Jameco #139564. With shorter ones you can stack them side by side., but they must be 0.1" spacing. Sounds like yours are not.

These singe & double row pins (straight & right angled) are used a lot on these boards. They are cheap. Just get a lot of them and cut and patch as needed.

Back