• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

S/36 Asked to help find System/36 Assembler

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I have been asked by several members to help locate the System/36 assembler for the 536x series. I have the Assembler for the the Advanced System/36 SSP. The software is installed on an AS/400 running OS/400 V4R3. It is running as a virtual Advanced/36. I though I may have it on an old 8 inch diskette, but once I was able to catalog the diskette it was not the assembler.

Would output from that assembler be machine language compatible with the machine language for the 536x series? if not, would it be possible for someone with the appropriate skill set to modify the assembler to produce code for the 526x series without the assembler for the 536x series.

Even if the above is true I am not sure I have the ability or correct equipment to get the files from my AS/400 to my System/36 5364. My 9604 will not support an external 5 1/5 or 8 inch diskette drives. I do have both BiSync and SDLC 8 bit cards that could be installed in the PC used with the 5264. I could put the correct files on QIC tape and I have access to an Advanced S/36 that will connect an 8 or 5 1/4 inch diskette.

I would like to help recover the assembler if possible, not that I could use it, if it was recovered. This is way above my knowledge and skill set. I am also limited by health issues lately.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Al put me in touch with someone who thinks he may have a solution. I am sending him a copy of the CL ASMSave, he is going to modify if to save from the Vitrual/36 to my QIC Tape. After I send him the tape he is go to modify the ASMLoad CL to restore it to his Advanced/36. Hopefully he can them run the ASMSave CL and copy it to an 8" floppy.

Hopefully that will produce a copy that can then can be loaded in the System/36 536x series. It's anyone's guess where it is object code compatible with a 5363. Even if it is, there is still the problem of OS versions mismatch.

It seems I have only one of two known copies of the Assembler still in the wild. The other one on an Advanced/36 with a broken power supply. Since there is a huge demand for it, I know of 3 people who would like to have access to it. I know nothing about it, all my experience programming on a 36 was with RPGII.

Back