• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

S100 revisited

Pictures or at least card descriptions (make, model, condition) would help a lot.

Lots of people, including myself, buy S-100 stuff when we can.

I have an MBR Control Dynamics S-100 Bus case and power supply that's unpopulated with cards at this time, so I'm always on the lookout for an inexpensive CPU card and an inexpensive memory card to see if the whole thing might actually work. I'm fascinated by S-100 stuff, but have thus far been rather intimidated to get into it heavily. I even have a few books on the subject and that didn't help me much either.

Nothing that magical about S-100. I had a CPU, RAM, ROM card, and a serial card. Press reset, fire up the rom code, code talks to the SIO card to which you attach some kind of rs232c terminal. I also managed to find a floppy controller card but floppy drives were EXPENSIVE in 1979 (so was RAM, $650 for 16k static), so I only could afford one floppy drive.

Nothing that magical about S-100. I had a CPU, RAM, ROM card, and a serial card. Press reset, fire up the rom code, code talks to the SIO card to which you attach some kind of rs232c terminal. I also managed to find a floppy controller card but floppy drives were EXPENSIVE in 1979 (so was RAM, $650 for 16k static), so I only could afford one floppy drive.

Is there a reference for the ROM codes? I see a lot of boards available sans documentation. Interestingly, the case I have already has a keyboard and a small red led screen. It looks like it was a rack mounted unit.

Hmm, I purchased the original Vector Graphics/1 back in 1978. The computer came with the ROM card already installed. CPU was set to start executing the ROM code after a reset. They call them "monitor"s nowadays. It was super primative, like DOS DEBUG. It was custom written for that particular set of hardware.

Back