• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCSI Control question

alejack12001

Experienced Member
My inquiry to to ask about the sequence of a MS-DOS boot with regard to a SCSI drive being internal or external connected to the controller. What I am asking is that If the SCSI drive is set to SCSI ID 0 or 1 then the location shouldn’t make a difference. I wanted to see if that concept is correct. Will the computer try to boot for the internal drive first if the SCSI ID is not SCSI ID 0 or 1 then seek the external drive if that drive is 0 or 1 or give me an error that it cannot find the boot disk?

SCSI has no idea if a device is internal or external. It's all the same bus. If the controller is set to boot from ID 0, it will always do that.

That depends on the controller. If the controller is only a single SCSI bus then even the card has no idea if the disk is internal or external. If its two SCSI Busses then it could be a setting in the SCSI BIOS or hard coded.

The controller is the Adaptec 1522 that I wrote about in a previous post. The users manual doesn't specify whether the controller is single or multiple. Right now I am assuming single. If this controller is single then only one terminator would be needed, correct or not?

Yes, the 1522 is a single controller (not my favorite ISA version). Each end of a SCSI chain requires a terminator. Thus:
term->drive->cable->controller<-cable<-drive<-term (with the terminator on the controller disabled)

Yes, the 1522 is a single controller (not my favorite ISA version). Each end of a SCSI chain requires a terminator. Thus:
term->drive->cable->controller<-cable<-drive<-term (with the terminator on the controller disabled)
That is good to know, I couldn't find anthing in the SCSI book I have, Version 2 regarding the removal of the controller terminator. Now, I can see the end to end terminators. This make sense.

Back