• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCSI Magneto Optical drive, how to assign a letter to the drive....

Sega

Experienced Member
Howdy.
In my quest to restoring an IBM L40sx with PSP-1 docking station I have come to a halt (see thread here http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?69631-IBM-L40SX-PSP-1-drivers-help ) the SCSI Magneto optical drive that came with it was shot but I found a different model replacement. I'm not too familiar with SCSI configurations. The SCSI card included is a TMC-850IBM with a Fujitsu M2512A M.O. Drive. I believe I have gathered the correct drivers for both but how exactly a letter is assigned to the drive (under DOS) any examples of what this may look like in the CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC>BAT lines? thanks for your input.

There are generally two device drivers involved. One that speaks to the SCSI card at a low level and provides the more general APSI programming API. The other is a storage device driver or removable storage device driver that presents the device to DOS as a block device and allows for a drive letter to be assigned.

Try ASPIHD.SYS (hard drive) or ASPIHDRM.SYS (removable storage) to get a drive letter, assuming you have the TMC850 drivers correct.

I'm using "Future Labs" PowerSCSI! v4.1 and the pc sees and scans the SCSI card just fine. My current config.sys line includes:

REM ** Future Domain PowerSCSI! v4.1 Support **
DEVICE=C:\PWRSCSI\MCAM950.EXE /CA00 5
DEVICE=C:\PWRSCSI\INT4BCAM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\PWRSCSI\ASPIFCAM.SYS /D /O
REM ******* End PowerSCSI! v4.1 Support *******

There are generally two device drivers involved. One that speaks to the SCSI card at a low level and provides the more general APSI programming API. The other is a storage device driver or removable storage device driver that presents the device to DOS as a block device and allows for a drive letter to be assigned.

Try ASPIHD.SYS (hard drive) or ASPIHDRM.SYS (removable storage) to get a drive letter, assuming you have the TMC850 drivers correct.

are those "universal" ASPI device drivers or are they pack in with the TMC850? If the former, where can they be found?

Back