• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

CorelSCSI includes an application SCSITools that will test various SCSI devices and media. It might not meet all your needs but disks for it are very common.

I just couldn't find the manual to verify that before.
So I found a copy of these utilities and the tool is for window 3.1. Was there a pure DOS version as well?

I think so, and I just might have a set of disks in my stash, but I'll have to check.
Found a version 2.0 that's definitely DOS. Here's the README.TXT. Appears to be targeted toward CD ROM.

If you have an ASPI facility, it's easy enough to write your own inventory program.

Attachments

• CorelReadme.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 0
  • taspi.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The CorelSCSI version 2 I have has tools for DOS, Windows 3, and OS/2. There are probably differences between each. I remember the online help was great, The manual is proving a lot less impressive.

Note that there were cut down versions licensed to various OEMs.

The retail boxed Corel SCSI 2 has 5 DOS/Windows disks plus an extra disk for OS/2. The only obvious element missing from the PD version is a set of SCSI scanner tools. I could check the disk contents and see what else is missing from PDSCSI.

I presume PD was for the improved phase change writable variant of the CD-ROM like the Panasonic LF1000.

Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at it and see what it brings to the table. My concern is if it is from that era it won't have any idea about wide and ultra-wide drives, SCSI ID's greater then 7, etc.
If you're using a 154x series, that's a Narrow SCSI controller, so it has no idea about that either. Wide SCSI devices will need to be put into narrow mode (if they support it) to work with a 1540.

Because of the way SCSI addressing works, only Wide SCSI devices can have SCSI IDs above 7. Practically speaking, I almost always stick to IDs of 0-7, host adapter is 7, boot drive is 0, removable drives start at 6 and count down.

Unless a device demands otherwise, I use wide-SCSI controllers for almost everything. Last was a AHA 29160 connected to a SyQuest 44MB drive (narrow SCSI SE). Providing that proper termination is supplied at the device end, there should be no problem.

If you're using a 154x series, that's a Narrow SCSI controller, so it has no idea about that either. Wide SCSI devices will need to be put into narrow mode (if they support it) to work with a 1540.

Because of the way SCSI addressing works, only Wide SCSI devices can have SCSI IDs above 7. Practically speaking, I almost always stick to IDs of 0-7, host adapter is 7, boot drive is 0, removable drives start at 6 and count down.
As I mentioned in the OP I am using a 2740W so it is a concern in my use case scenario. Of course with others it may be different.

The retail boxed Corel SCSI 2 has 5 DOS/Windows disks plus an extra disk for OS/2. The only obvious element missing from the PD version is a set of SCSI scanner tools. I could check the disk contents and see what else is missing from PDSCSI.

I presume PD was for the improved phase change writable variant of the CD-ROM like the Panasonic LF1000.
That would be great. I was thinking PD was also referring to that although it seemed rather specific unless it came wit ha PD drive.... If you have the full set of CorelSCSI package I would love to have a backup for historical reference purposes. TIA!

The Corel SCSI 2 files are all several years older than the files in the PDSCSI. Missing from PCSCSI were backup and scanning tools. Unfortunately, the USB floppy drive I tried to have read the disks was unable to read 2 of the 6. I will try it with an internal drive or see if I still have the other set of disks still.

Back