• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seagate Inst. Guides

Yzzerdd

Veteran Member
Ok, as promised, here they are(holds manuals up to brand new 19" LCD monitor). I would tyoe them up, but that's way to many words to type on summer break. I don't have a scanner, and my bro. has my camera, visiting Canada. So, if you want ANY info about ANY Seagate drive from 1991 or below, just holler. In front of me, are the two manuals I can look at, that Comp. Technicians from back in the day used to carry. The book on the left(your right) is the Universal Inst. Handbook(Seagate, not for resale) and the other book(your left) is an ST11M, ST11R ST412 interdace controller guide. So, I can give you info on your Seagate hard drives(MFM, PR, IDE) and your interface controller(jumpers and such). So, if you have an error code, or just need info, please, post here(would say PM, but I would rather not repeat myself to multiple people, but instead, have info right on the forum).

--Ryan

heh - and I laughed when I saw your posting!
SHAME ON ME!

Um, I need jumper setting for ST-212 and ST-251

Thanks

ps - if it matters (don;t think so) it's a 251-1, the 28ms variant.

Tony

I don't see anything about an ST212, but the jumper settings aren't specific to the model, only the type(MFM half-height, full height, 3.5...). You mentioned one of the drives was an ST251-1. The only differenec between the 251 and the 251-1 is it's seek time is about half as fast, and the 251-1 takes one more volt of power than the 251. Getting closer on topic....

MFM/RLL half height jumpers:
(looking at the drive upside down)

Imbetween J1(the long card connector) and J2(short connector) find metal jumpers. The FAR RIGHT jumper is DS1, meaning "Drive select one." if you slip a jumper over the far right pins, in a vertical mannor, you selected that drive as the first drive. the set of pins next to it(the left) is DS2, next to that is DS3, and next to that is DS4. Only have one jumper set per drive. If you set up multiple hard drives in a system, on the bottom of the drive, on the card, is a resistor terminator pack. it looks like a clip that pops into the board. Pop that out if you have 2 or more hard drives in the system!

MFM/RLL full height jumpers:
(drive upside down)

Refer to half-height jumpers for more information, they are the same settings.

MFM/RLL 3.5 jumpers
(drive upside down)

I can't figure out where "J7" is, which happens to be where the jumpers are. But if you find it:

At the very left of the set, find jumper 16. It is the very bottom left pin. Above it is pin 15. If you cover pins 15 and 16, you have the drive set as DS1. If you cover the set to DS1's right, you have the drive set to DS2. If you cover the pins next to DS2, you set the drive to DS3. and if you cover the pins next to that, pins 9 and 10, you have the drive set as DS4.
Again, the terminator pack is infront of J1 and J2, the card connectors, on the controller card. pop it out of the socket if you install 2 or more drives in that system.

3.5 and 5.25 SCSI drives

There are so many pins, I dunno how to descibe it. Refer to pictures.

Pics, in the order listed above:
MFM5.25half.jpg

MFMfull.jpg

MFM3.5.jpg

35SCSI-5.25SCSIpic.jpg

and the 5.25 SCSI...
5.25SCSI.jpg

So the pics are messy, so what? If you want any diagrams, I have some of those, as well as jumpers for the ST11(M,R) and the ST412 cards.

I was interested more in the ST-212, but it's a moot point - I think the problem is in the KayPLUS ROM - The Advent TurboROM Sees, initializes, tests, and verifies the ST-251-1 i stuck in that K10.

Only problem, is that TurboROM has a fixed list of drives, whereas KayPLUS you can put in the parameters.

Right now, I have the 251-1 formatted as an ST-4038 (I think that's what I chose - 32MB, 773 or 733 tracks, 5 heads) so I;m losing a little, but geez.
I don;t think it'll make much of a difference. It;s CP/M we're talking about here!

Tony

If you need the info on the heads, tracks, sectors, read/write speed, and all that tech stuff for the ST251-1 I can provide it to you. There are ALOT of diferent drives covered in the manual but the *as I re-check my manual*ST212 wasn't one of them.

Sorry I couldn't help with the 212, but I met ya half way :roll:

Druid: Thanks, but it's for a CP/M machine, so no BIOS help for me.
It ended up being a problem with the aftermarket TurboROM I was using in the Kaypro 10. The KayPLUS supports entering in parameters, but isn't working (on the K10, it isn't).

The TurboROM works, but has a static list of drives it knows about, and the ST-251 or ST-251-1 aren;t on the list - same parameters, seek time is different. I had to choose an ST-4038, and lose 10MB (32MB vs 42MB)

I believe ST-4038 is 733/5/17 and ST-251(-1) is 820/6/17, so I lose 1 head, and about 100 tracks.

No biggie...32MB is alot for CP/M, anyways.

Tony

Ok, Tony, I understand.

Just be careful moving the box around because it's going to park the heads over a good track and, if you ever want to use it in something else at full capacity, you don't want the heads to have bounced off of cylinder 734 :)

Back