• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seagate ST-412 issue.

Are you guys sure that that screw moves the sensor?
When I earlier had a look at my ST-412, all that screw appeared to do was lower/raise the metal block underneath the screw.

Got it working!!

I used small piece cuted from metal jacket of 3.5" disk and then glued to the arm.
It works great now, formatted and running for few days without fault.
I just power it on and it's ready to boot, I don't need booting form diskette now and 'warming-up' the drive.

Got it working!!

I used small piece cuted from metal jacket of 3.5" disk and then glued to the arm.
It works great now, formatted and running for few days without fault.
I just power it on and it's ready to boot, I don't need booting form diskette now and 'warming-up' the drive.

Wow, thats great news ! Maybe the piece of metal you used this time
moved the Track 0 position a little further on the disk.

My ST-412 is also still working, although I haven't really used it for much lately. I power it on occasionally to play old DOS game's. I recently rescued a box of MFM drives and another box of 8-bit ISA cards from a guy who was sending them to the electronic recyclers :) In the box of ISA cards I found an old WD-XT Gen2 MFM controller , which will work in my XT with several different drive types. Also in the box was an AST Sixpack Plus, which I installed in my XT. Just needed a new battery for the clock.

Back