• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Seagate's Address

A few years ago I could have picked up one, if not two low-end SPARCs, but I didn't since I no longer felt love to them and I needed a video adapter which was not cheap or easy to obtain (although we had a handful spare video adapters in the computer club). The other option was of course to pick up a blurry 19" Sun monitor, but those do better justice at the recycling station than my home.

Even if I came across a dirt cheap Ultra-10, I doubt I would pick it up. Well, maybe if it was really dirt cheap, like $20-30 or less. In the end, I was more mesmerized by the low-end RS/6000 workstations (running AIX 4.2) than the low-end SPARC workstations, but I didn't want a free RS/6000 neither.

I don't enen know where to look for a used SPARC machine. I would love to have one, but Where would you get something like that?

-V

Behold, For I am making this post with Sun Solaris 10. On a Dell OptiPlex GX1.
Pentium II at 400 MHz and 256MB of RAM. It runs pretty good. A slight lag occationally, but over all really good.

-V

Vlad, maybe there is some (university) computer club which accepts external members? Unless the club already cleared out their old equipment, at least you'd get a chance to play with it at the club.

We used to have a good deal with Sun via the university's IT department, so the scrubs (first IPX and LX, later SS-10, SS-4 and in the end even a few Ultra-1) no-one really would buy anymore could stay with us instead of shipping to Sun for trade-in. We also were in contact with local companies who sometimes dumped their stuff onto us when they upgraded. Those trade-in Suns were a bit of a grey zone, as technically they were discarded. We could trade with another club or individual, but were prohibited to sell it. A few machines accidentally were sold and then sold again, which caused a bit of a fuzz when someone actually did trade them back to Sun. A machine once declared "dead" that shows up in the trade-in program is not wanted.

My college's IT department arn't very nice people, so thats out. There arn't any clubs aroud me except a Linux users group. ( I went to the website it's pathetic, the worship Linux like its a religon or something.) The only thing I can really do is ask Sun them selves if they have any really old machines they want to get rid of, but they probably wouldn't reply. I hate eBay, so I'm down to asking the forum, and Sun. Somehow, I believe a Sparc machine is beyond my reach probably for many years to come. (If ever) I would buy a new one if I had the money.......

-V

Back