• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sears Super Video Arcade Tele-Games

stangman517

Experienced Member
Greetings all.

I found one of these gaming (cartridges) at Goodwill. It was $1.52, so I bought it. It looked to be in good shape, but when I hooked it up the video (screen) flickers white horizontal bars, then disappears, and constantly repeats this. I took it apart and cleaned it well. It actually wasn't too dirty for being a 1979 unit. My thoughts are the video chip. Can anyone offer any ideas on what the problem is and perhaps where to get parts?

Thanks!

Thanks Chuck.

I checked out the link; I appreciate it! What I found was interesting. I found videos on what the power output should be from the transformer and how to check the power from the power supply going to the logic board. The video was easy to follow. Well I did find a few solder joints that were open and I filled them, and the power checks OK for my unit, but no intro screen; just white lines across the screen. I also found out that on the Sears model

"the Telegames Super Video Arcade featured detachable hand controllers and did not display the line Mattel Electronics on the standard game title screen." So I wonder if I have to have a cartridge in the slot for anything to happen. Do you know Chuck?

Anyone know where to get parts?

Last edited:
Osgeld, that's good news. I just didn't want to do a hit-&-miss parts replacement on the unit. i ordered a cart and will try it as soon as I get it and get back.

Thanks.

I hope you got DUNGEADVANCEDAGONS.

As far as parts, pretty much your only options are donor Intellivision (or compatibles).

I actually have a Sears unit for mechanical parts, but it sounds like you don't need those.

The circuit board and power supply are the same in the Mattel and Sears units. The ROM is different, but all that changes is the startup screen, as you already learnt.

Hello all.

I received a cartridge yesterday; inserted it, powered up and saw a clear, game screen. So this unit is ok for spending $1.52. I'm very tickled. All I did was fill in a few solder joints that were cracked and bought one cartridge for $10.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions!

So was it Poker & Blackjack, Astrosmash, Space Battle, or Major League Baseball?

It's Frogger. I also ordered Super Video Arcade Baseball for less than $6 and Star Strike for $8. Both are CIB. I'm finding most of these games are selling for low prices. Seen a few that seem a bit exorbitant to me. The games you mentioned, are they recommendations?

Star Strike is more common than dirt. But it's a good game. I didn't appreciate it in 1983, but I sure do now. Same with Space Armada.

Get DUNGEADVANCEDAGONS, Space Battle, Utopia, Skiing, Stadium Mud Buggies, Shark! Shark!, Atlantis, Astrosmash, and well, I'll stop now because I'll list too many.

Back