• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

seeking Western Digital WD7000 SCSI host adapter software -- SST IV

bear

Veteran Member
Painful episodes from my adolescence revisited now 25 years later.

Does anybody have a copy of the Columbia Data Products SST IV software, which contained 32-bit drivers for the WD7000, for use with Windows NT or OS/2 2.x?

Back in the day, these upgraded drivers cost most of a month's worth of paper route money, and I could only afford to upgrade as far as SST 3.36.3. (also, Warp Beta II worked okay with two hard drives on the WD7000, through the BIOS extension ROMs, and the Sony CD-ROM drive I had used a proprietary interface adapter. the need wasn't quite so urgent.)

Anyway. SST IV? Anyone?

I don't know if this is what you're after, but maybe it'll help.

There was also a shareware/freeware version of the NT (probably 3.1) driver on SIMTEL, but I don't recall its name.

All of the CDP stuff eventually went to Future Domain, who was gobbled up by Adaptec, who was gobbled up by Microsemi and I suspect the very old stuff like the WD7000 support software got lost or dropped in the process of multiple shuffles.

Unfortunately, that looks like the (DOS-only component of the) 3.36 version I already have. Thanks though.

CDP seemed to think of their stewardship of the WD7000 software as a cash cow they could ride to infinite riches. If I'd known what I was in for with regard to the software, I doubt I'd have come to the conclusion, "Can't go wrong with Western Digital! WD7000, that's the card for me!" If I'm totally honest, I probably got as far as "...FASST", which made me go, "heck yeah," and that was as complex as my adolescent decision got.

I swear I read something in the Warp Beta II release notes that made me think the WD7000 was a supported controller (and hopefully it wasn't the mention of the totally unrelated Future Domain 7000EX), because I'd already been through the exercise with linux totally failing to recognize the terrible Sumo AT host adapter I already had (second in a series of three bad choices), and remembering the WD7000 was definitely in the list of supported host adapter for linux (at .99pl_mumble), that when I got my Warp Beta II kit in the mail and discovered it had exactly the same failure to do anything at all with the Sumo AT... eventually I'll find my copy of those release notes and figure out what the heck I was thinking of.

Until then, I hope somebody somewhere saved a copy of SST IV.

I spotted an NT OEMSETUP.INF file in the /SOURCE directory and thought that it might be applicable to your situation. I'll keep checking around--who knows--I could have the stuff and not even realize it.

I had a closer look at /SOURCE and it is indeed the MicrIO freeware driver for NT.

What I'm really after is the .ADD for 32-bit OS/2, so if some other partial archive is unearthed...

Painful episodes from my adolescence revisited now 25 years later.

Does anybody have a copy of the Columbia Data Products SST IV software, which contained 32-bit drivers for the WD7000, for use with Windows NT or OS/2 2.x?

... could only afford to upgrade as far as SST 3.36.3

Still have a copy of 3.36? I lost my disks long ago, and recently picked up a 7000 for one of the machines..

--Fred

Back