• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Selling a mystery box Lisa.

bart

Hi! I received an Apple Lisa around 1993. It was given to me by a friend of a friend who did not know it's origin. At this time we put in a power cord and pressed the start button, but could not get it to go. We then removed parts from it's case to look at it. The parts were then put into a open storage box and place under my parents house. This house is in Brisbane, Australia, a sub tropical area. Under the house is sealed and cool.

Very soon I will be traveling to Brisbane for a wedding and retrieving the box, and driving back to my house in Canberra, Australia.

I was wondering about the possible value of this box of parts. I believe it was simply not working at the time due to on board battery failures, but am not technical enough to confirm this. I am a IT worker at an advanced user level, with only high school physics level electronics knowledge

Once collected, I can take photographs and more accurately describe the condition.

My plan is to sell if it is valuable enough for me to be bothered, or to attempt the fish tank project if not.

I read the other threads here and sent in a price inquiry to vintagemicro. I was wondering what other sort of selling advice people could give me. At this point I looking to get an idea of the value to a) sell the lot or b) sell the internal parts and execute the fishtank project or c) junk the parts and do the fishtank.

Well, personally I would NOT junk (or fishtank) it.

There are probably a few non-functioning Lisa's around missing just that one part..which may be in your box.

If it was me, I'd try and get it going. A working Lisa is worth a bit depending on physical condition. I'd like a Lisa myself.

Alternatively, lay out all the main components and put them on e-bay as separate items, no reserve, low starting bid with an AS-IS note and mentioning that they came from a non-functioning unit (and what the symptoms were). Someone might take a chance if they really need an IC or two. Someone might need a new case for example.

Or you could just put the whole lot on e-bay. With a low starting bid and no reserve I'm sure you'll get a bite, and you might make a vintage computer owner very happy.

Tez

Thanks tezza

Thanks tezza

Thanks Tezza! I'll post the pictures once I've collected it from my parents. I really don't have the expertise or the time to get it going myself, I already have a dozen other hobbies. What I'm hoping for most of all is a guess of what someone might pay for the box of parts.

If you e*ay it, start the bidding around a couple hundred for the whole lot of parts. If you sell each part individually, you'll probably get a lot more (depending on which model it is). (Even the fish tank, if it's better looking than someone else's).

--T

Contacting VintageMicros was a good start - John is VERY helpful, and knows his stuff, and he is NOT a rip-off artist like some others...
Last I checked, he had a metric buttload of Lisa stuff available, from boards, to PSU's

T

Can anyone tell me more about contacting that guy? I've tried Googling "John from vintagemicros" and variations thereof, but the closest it gets me is this same forum conversation. The search function here isn't much help either. Where are you guys finding out how to contact him?

VintageMicros

VintageMicros

I am still in business. Someone tried to hack my site and my admin took it down. When repairs are made I will be back up. I can always be reached at john@vintagemicros.com (unless we are traveling).

Back