• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Setting up a DECnet network with a Pro380 and Windows client?

I found this in the tech manual:

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 15.25.07.png

So XACKAL is also connected to the BRPLYL circuit, not just the latch. I don't think you need to trace it.

So XACKAL is also connected to the BRPLYL circuit, not just the latch. I don't think you need to trace it.
I found XACKAL connects to the input enable on two 373 latches and pin 13 on a 74LS00 (input to a NAND gate) on the other side of the board - likely part of the bus reply generator in the figure above.

I have an unexpected result and I am not sure what to make of it. I patched together a program to enumerate the CTI cards, read the card ID, find the DECNA card and then perform the exact memory test from the diagnostic ROM. The card enumeration and ID code is based on davibear's code. As a starting test, I just enumerated the cards and their IDs. I have three cards in the cage: Slot 1: HDD controller (401), Slot 2: Floppy controller (2004), and Slot 3: DECNA card (42). The program runs and reports the following:

Slot 1: ID 401
Slot 2: ID 2004
Slot 3: ID 424 (not 42)

I moved the DECNA card to slot 6 with the same result. I'm looking for a bug in the code, but not finding one. It reports properly for the HDD and Floppy controllers. The PRO diagnostic does report ID 42 in the start-up error. I asked how could that be if I am reading 424? The ROM disassembly shows an immediate value of 42 is stuffed into a register for the return instead of reading the ID from the top of the ROM. The maintenance disk does recognize the card as DECNA. Could my ROM possibly have 424 as the ID? Or is this a symptom of a card failure with the data lines? I'm happy to post the code if anyone wants to take a look. I haven't run the memory test. Maybe I can accept the 424 and continue?

One possibility is the that control register has the bit set to the Address ROM, even though the control register reset state of 0 should point to the Option ROM. I could try first clearing the control register for that slot. According to the tech manual, "The first six bytes [of the Address ROM] contain the unique address and are accessible via the ROM data window register. The next two bytes contain a checksum value for PROM contents and are also accessible through the ROM data window register." The 424 doesn't seem match the address info on the card.

Is the following correct for the DECNA card? I cannot find mention of the offsets in the tech manuals:

ROM Data Register Base + 0
ROM Address Counter Base + 2
ROM Control Register Base + 4
ROM Memory Base Address Register Base + 6

Last edited:
I have an unexpected result and I am not sure what to make of it. I patched together a program to enumerate the CTI cards, read the card ID, find the DECNA card and then perform the exact memory test from the diagnostic ROM. The card enumeration and ID code is based on davibear's code. As a starting test, I just enumerated the cards and their IDs. I have three cards in the cage: Slot 1: HDD controller (401), Slot 2: Floppy controller (2004), and Slot 3: DECNA card (42). The program runs and reports the following:

Slot 1: ID 401
Slot 2: ID 2004
Slot 3: ID 424 (not 42)

I moved the DECNA card to slot 6 with the same result. I'm looking for a bug in the code, but not finding one. It reports properly for the HDD and Floppy controllers. The PRO diagnostic does report ID 42 in the start-up error. I asked how could that be if I am reading 424? The ROM disassembly shows an immediate value of 42 is stuffed into a register for the return instead of reading the ID from the top of the ROM. The maintenance disk does recognize the card as DECNA. Could my ROM possibly have 424 as the ID? Or is this a symptom of a card failure with the data lines? I'm happy to post the code if anyone wants to take a look. I haven't run the memory test. Maybe I can accept the 424 and continue?

One possibility is the that control register has the bit set to the Address ROM, even though the control register reset state of 0 should point to the Option ROM. I could try first clearing the control register for that slot. According to the tech manual, "The first six bytes [of the Address ROM] contain the unique address and are accessible via the ROM data window register. The next two bytes contain a checksum value for PROM contents and are also accessible through the ROM data window register." The 424 doesn't seem match the address info on the card.

Is the following correct for the DECNA card? I cannot find mention of the offsets in the tech manuals:

ROM Data Register Base + 0
ROM Address Counter Base + 2
ROM Control Register Base + 4
ROM Memory Base Address Register Base + 6
Are you certain that the ROM address counter is reset when reading the ROM Data register? I.e have you written to the ROM address register in order to reset the counter?

I don't think the HDD nor the floppy controller had a Diag ROM as the DECNA has. They only have one single word that is the ID.

The register layout is correct as far as I see. Unfortunately the tech manual is rather bad. It lacks a lot of interesting details.

Yes, I clear the ROM address register just before reading the card ID. Attached is the code. The memory test is commented out and just the card enumeration runs.

Attachments

• decntst.txt
    19.9 KB · Views: 6
I stuck a memory card in the cage to test MattisLind's suggestion. The memory card is octal 34. The result came back as 344. So, it is definitely a bug. I'll bet it has something to do with the QIOW string.

Bingo! I replaced the length calculation in the QIOW$S call with the returned length from the $EDMSG macro and that fixed the problem. The hint was the "4" and the preceding reporting of "2004" that extended the string by one byte.

Last edited:
Here's an update on my DECNA card debug. My program to test DECNA card memory led me on an educational journey to learn things that some of you probably know. After fixing the length calculation in the QIOW$S call, I proceeded to debug the memory test portion. It seemed to run, but I needed a way to determine if I was actually hitting the DECNA card with reads and writes. I tried different techniques including removing the card, but eventually found that turning off memory access in the 8207 to trigger a Trap 4 event with a bus reply timeout was best once I had confidence in the code to write the control register. I assembled, linked and ran the program from the P/OS Toolkit. I linked the program with /PR as a privileged task. I discovered that when you link it this way, it places the program in APR 5 space by default and you can choose APR 0, 4 or 5. The program does not run in kernel mode, but user mode. For that reason, my attempts to program kernel PARs yielded no results. Upon realizing this, I attempted to run in kernel mode by changing the PSW. But the mode bits are protected and trigger a Trap 4. I tried to install an error handler, but that froze the machine (maybe halted it). I then discovered the $SWSTK call for this purpose, but then determined it does not exist in P/OS. However, SWST$ exists and allows one to run a subroutine in kernel mode and return back to User mode rather than switch to kernel mode. A small test program showed SWST$ worked, but running in kernel mode for the memory check is probably not best. So, I returned to user space and found my changes to User PAR were not having their desired effect. I set tried both instruction and data space and later confirmed I was running in a mode that only the instruction space PARs are used. I also found I could not change User PAR 5, presumably because it is used by the code when linked with privilege. But I could alter User PAR 6 and User PAR 4. However, my debug code using QIOW$S was unknowingly causing unexpected problems. I discovered after much debug that even though I set PAR4 and called QIOW$S and $EDMSG to print the value to the terminal, my PAR 4 was being overwritten by the macro calls. So, while the screen message showed the right PAR, it was getting after the print. If I read the PAR and printed it consecutively, the change in PAR value from my value of 144000 to 1000 became evident. My takeaway is that if you set a PAR directly, don't assume it is still in place after calling a system macro. In fact, I think the technique of directly setting PARs is probably not good. There are macros such as CRAW$ and WDBBK$ to create virtual address windows and set the PARs. I haven't tried them yet under P/OS, but I suspect it may address the unexpected reset of the PARs. I tried this approach under RT-11 with success previously.

Getting past this problem and satisfying myself that the code was actually hitting the DECNA card by turning memory access on and off and triggering Trap 4 when off, my memory tests immediately showed a problem. I tried to write 0x0, 0xAAAA (125252) and 0x5555 (52525) and read back the results. I started with the lower block of 64KB and got the following:

0x0000 --> 060136
0xAAAA (125252) -> 165336
0x5555 (52525) -> 072537

The good news is that some bits are actually responding, so I am confident that I am hitting the card. If you break it down by bit you find errors as follows:

15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
G B B G G G G G G B B B B B B G G= good, B= Bad

This helps me identify which memory chips in the two columns of memory on the board may be bad, assuming I can determine whether the top of the column is bit 15 or bit 0. However, I then decided to check the upper 64KB of memory in the next row. I found the same result. I am thinking now the issue may not be the memory but instead a common buffer or latch, unless bad memory chips are forcing various bits of the data bus high or low. Any thoughts on whether this is a memory chip or buffer/latch problem and method to test which is at fault? It could be a data-in problem or a data-out problem. I assume the 8207 is working properly since I can map the memory, turn it on and off. and get some bits through.

Some have asked for the updated maintenance disk. I will post once I get a chance to clean up.

The lower and upper 64k are the same chips. The memory array is 64kx16. IMHO having this many DRAM-chips going bad is not very likely.

You could test the theory by removing one of the chip that always reads 0 and re-run the test.

Could there be a bad buffer? I am mostly thinking that bad buffers affect the bus in the same way for all bits. Either stuck high or stuck low. In this case it seems that both things happens.

It could be a bad buffer, which has failed partially. Or both buffer chips that failed partially, depending on how DEC decided to route the bus. It can be a combination of bad RAM chips and bad buffer.

Perhaps you can pull out the board and power it from a lab power supply and measure the signal level on the data bits on the inputs and outputs the memory? Strange levels may reveal bad chips.

When I am thinking of it, we are not sure if it is the data written that is bad or the data read since data goes through a buffer when writing and is latched when read back.

Thanks. I pulled the board and realized exactly what you said. In fixing and running the ROM code over my simple memory test, I found there are some locations where one of the bits toggles to the correct value. I located the 244 buffers and 373 D latches. Like you said, it could be an input or output problem. I could potentially power the board on the bench. Is it just a single 5V supply?

Back