• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Shipping AT Motherboard - No ESD Bag

wesleyfurr

Veteran Member
I have an original IBM AT motherboard I have arranged for a sale to another forum member. Found a box big enough but not too tall...but I don't have any ESD bags big enough! Is there anything else that would work to protect it? Or would it be safe without? I seem to recall a HD manufacturer years ago saying to use aluminum foil to wrap a drive in for return if you didn't have an ESD bag - would that work?

Thanks,

Wesley

I've received numerous boards wrapped in aluminum foil, then placed inside a bag or plastic wrap, no problems so far. Sometimes it can be a mess to pick off the pins on a through-hole board.

Call around to local computer shops, most have a lot of left over static bags, and you can combine bags. (i.e. overlap the bags and tape them together.)
I always keep a hundred or so around.

Later,
dabone

Inside or out, it doesn't really matter--the point is to keep the surroundings at the same potential. I was thinking about foil flaking off and fouling the works.

I've got large PCB padded bags where the usual pink stuff makes up the bag's structure, but there's an inner layer of what appears to be aluminized mylar. Belt and braces sort of affair.

Back