• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Should this processor work in this motherboard?

hunterjwizzard

Veteran Member
I have an Intel Intel AL440LX in which I am trying to make run an Intel Pentium II SL2S7. The manual says the board only supports up to 66mhz FSB, but normally it down-clocks the CPU in that case.

There are many reasons why this system might not be posting. But if I simply don't own a compatible CPU, that's one.

Don't see why not. I use P3 133FSB CPUs in 100MHz boards--the CPUs run more slowly, but otherwise work well. Vogons says this:

"This board will go upto 333mhz pentium2. And maybe faster celeron chips but not sure. Intel boards just take stock cpu's no overclocking but rocksolid. Don't know if the slot1 to socket370 converters wil work in this board."

Some Pentium II CPUs for an FSB of 100 MHz refuse to work with 66 MHz. There's a special pin on the slot that controls that. You can isolate that pin e.g. with some tape to bypass. I have no idea if that is the case with the SL2S7, however. Just something to keep in mind.

So it should work.

But doesn't.

Full parts list is as follows:
-Intel AL440LX
-Intel Pentium II SL2S7
-64mb of probably PC133 RAM(it is unlabeled)
-Matrox G55+ graphics card

It may not be the CPU. I bought the board as "untested/as-is" so there's that. I filled it with components I had on hand, and it turns out at some point in the distant past I purged every stick of PC133 RAM smaller than 256mb from my inventory. I borrowed the 64mb stick from a different retro PC.

And that is how we got to where we are. Which is stuck.

Back