• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Shugart 80x Drives

deramp5113

Veteran Member
The Shugart 800/801 drives (and the 8” media) have proven time be amazing reliable even after 45+ years. Even if not working, the drives are typically not hard to restore to working condition. There is one exception however - the small head pad carrier that snaps into the hole in the head pad arm. I can punch a new head pad, but if the snap-in “legs” of the head pad carrier are broken, I haven’t found an option other other than glue. Does anyone have an answer they’ve had good luck with? Could 3D printing handle something so small and replicate the spring/snap in nature of the the carrier “legs”?

Mike D

I take it that you're talking about the single-sided drives. Always seemed to me that gluing in a pool cue tip was about right, but I never tried it.

The head pressure pad part on the 80x drives is the same part Shugart used in the 5.25" mechanisms (SA-400), and I think it may also have been adopted by other non-Shugart 5.25" mechs. I believe you should be able to scavenge one out of a parts 5.25" drive.

Someone should really take a swing at doing a reproduction though. :)

I finally found the part(s) my brother created and 3D prints.

His part doesn't have the slit for dividing the retaining fingers? I don't know
if that was done manually or how it was installed. He hasn't replied yet.

How many were you wanting?

Larry

Attachments

• loadbutton.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
  • loadbutton2.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 11
  • LoadButton.jpg
    LoadButton.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 18
Hi Larry - this looks promising! I see he created a solid snap-in portion instead of the small "legs" of the original. It is these legs that break off the original parts and render them useless (or glue-in only). I didn't think those legs could be reliably replicated with a printer. I wonder how well the solid body snap-in part he designed will work. I could use ten or so to fix a large collection of Shugart drives all waiting on head pads. Thanks! And note, I *will* provide feedback for you :)

Mike D

Mike,
There was a second version, but I don't have the information for it. I'm trying
to get my brother to go through his stash and locate the updated files.

More later.

Larry

Back